Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

South Wales Group Star Party 2013

Matthew

As the title says im testing the water about a possible star party in the autumn.The chances of me making it this year are slim most of my holidays have been allocated but it would be great if we could arrange another.First thing we need to do is agree on a venue and more importantly a date.So ideas time who wants in and where/when do we want it :smiley:

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will be 100% matt! As soon as there's dates I will book them off. I can give my mgr 1 days notice worst case :p joys of working for the WG lol

I'm not very good at dates of moon n stuff. But what was the previous site like? Was it good enough to return?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

Grrrr I keep forgetting I shouldn't reply to threads first time with tappatalk :( I get no notifications then:(. If any details posted an I don't reply here can some one kindly poke me with a sharp electric stick please:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please ignore any spelling typo thingys

Count me in - last time was a great weekend - same time of year would be great - doesn't clash with SGL9. The site was really good- great amenities - view was a bit obscured in places but not too bad at all and the skies were fine and like Len said- a local pub for food or if the weather doesn't want to play though I wouldn't mind if you decided to venture to pastures new either - perhaps further into Mid Wales?

I'm happy with the same place as last time Mat - dark skies, pretty quiet, good shower facilities, and plenty of food options nearby. How about the weekend of the 5th oct? Schools are back, its the new moon and astro dark kicks in about 20:30.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be back providing my situation at home gets sorted so keeping my fingers crossed that something turns up real soon. I don't mind going to the same site again as the facilities were great & the skies were pretty awesome between the wet stuff.

Was great to see a few of you at SGL this weekend too. :grin:

Hi Tich nice to catch up last weekend ,hope you can make it again this year , Vince 66 this is the camp site we used last year,

Pencelli Castle

Pencelli

Brecon, Powys

Wales, UK

LD3 7LX

good dark sky ,nice site , local pubs for food , keep an eye on the thead for more news and we hope you come to our 2nd star party

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just thought I'd add to this post that my circumstances have now changed for the better at last & I start work on Monday so there's a very good chance of me making it now. I've still got to get the car sorted out hopefully it will just be a sensor that needs replacing after I get it diagnosed but at least I should be able to afford to get it fixed soon. :grin:

Well done Tich im glad you've got a new job theres not much about at the moment.The likely-hood is that the star party will be held on the weekend starting 4th October at Pencelli,everything should be sorted by the beginning of next week.

To help out Mat I'll be organising the star party at pencelli for this autumn. I've arranged with the campsite to set-up in the same area as last year and to cover up the lights again.

Dates are the week commencing monday 30th september with the main nights being the 4th and 5th of october. The moon will be well out of the way and it'll be astro dark from about 20:30.

The campsite website can be found here.

A PDF of the campsite layout can be found at the bottom of their homepage. We will be in The Oaks area. Hardstandings are 1 to 6 and 29. Tent pitches are 10 to 13, 25 to 28, and 7 to 9. All have EHUs if required.

Rather than make a group payment like last year it'll be easier for everyone to make their own individual bookings and payments direct with the campsite. Therefore none of these pitches are reserved for us so for this reason its first come first served and the campsite have said they'd like to take bookings sooner rather than later so that they can organise us and slot us all in. The prices are on their website. When booking mention that you're with the astronomy group and give them which pitch number you'd prefer.

One thing to bear in mind are the larger trees between The Oaks and The Meadow that tend to obscure the lower parts of the north/east horizon so you might want to pick your pitch accordingly. They don't pose too much of an issue because the rest of the sky is unobscured and an easy solution anyway is just to set up your kit nearer the road end of your pitch.

Once booked in can you PM me with your pitch number, your real name if its not in your signature, and which nights so that I can keep track of who's going and when. I can then keep tabs with the campsite in case there are any issues. Also if you wish to cancel please let the campsite know as set out on their website.

Cheers for reading this far :grin: and I hope I've covered everything, let me know if I've missed anything out. Will be great to catch up with familiar faces and hopefully meet some new ones as well. I'll be on pitch 28 from the tuesday onwards.

ooooooooo you really picked a good date there guys..... 30ths by 25th! :p

iv never actually booked a camp site before........ as obviously last time i didnt need to. which pitch was i "on" last year? as i havent the foggiest where to go to be honest lol

Archived