Coming Back to Astronomy

bdlbug

Hi everyone,

Just signed up yesterday after coming accross this forum a few weeks ago during some research on equipment and peoples opinions etc...

So about me, I've had a Vixen SP102M on a GP mount for more years than I care to recall, I used to live in a reasonably rural location and used to enoy lunar and planetary observation. But then life took hold, kids arrived and new job brought me to a more light polluted town location so my observational days have been limited to occasional views of the planets and lunar eclipse and I was there down in Cornwall under cloud for the 1999 Solar eclipse ready with my Objective covered in Bader solar filter, I ended up travelling to Turkey to see the 2006 solar eclipse, my image from this is the avatar I have on the site right now. So I now have older kids and they are gradually heading off to college and so I have made a decision to get back into observational astronomy and step up in aperture and get a decent mount that could take me through to some guided astrophotography, eventually. So I have already made contact with another member who has invested in a new Sky Watcher mount and will hopefully meeting a few of you in the various forum topics to discuss the merits of various 'scopes , eyepieces etc.

looking forward to setting up my new telescope kit and hopefully be ready for some Spring observing,

thanks

Bryan

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Bryan and welcome to SGL, if, as I read, you are intending to go over to the dark side, as we affectionately call it, then avail yourself of a copy of Steve Richards book " Making Every Photon Count " see FLO top of page, an excellent and popular guide among the membership to starting out in AP :)

John.

Archived