Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My 200p dob just arrived

I thought I was prepared for how big this thing was, after seeing many threads with pics on its scale, I thought I would not be surprised with its size. Oh god I was wrong, it's a monster! :D

Kudos to Telescope House who were out of stock a few days ago when I put my order in, I wasn't expecting it until next week! Big thumbs up to them!

Also a thanks to the guys here for helping with decisions, and to all those that made threads and got answers that I needed anyway!

(Apologies in advance for the cloud)

I thought I was prepared for how big this thing was, after seeing many threads with pics on its scale, I thought I would not be surprised with its size. Oh god I was wrong, it's a monster! :D

Pah! I've used bigger finders!

You're right though, finding sizes that accurately convey size is tricky and the lack of decent dimensional info makes it worse still. The good news is that scopes are a bit like Plasma TVs - Your head says 42" is enough, but you can't resist the 50" for £100 more. You get it home and wonder what the Dickens you've done, but within a couple of months you're looking at it thinking "I could have squeezed the 55" in there".

Just for comparison here's a piccy of my old 200p which is about 200mm shorter than your OTA. That always used to look big and then the 300p turned up. The reason I look hung over is because I am. No excuses. :)

photo

Certainly a sizeable piece of kit^ :shocked:

I would have liked something even bigger but I barely have the money... My plan at the moment is to use this until i've got all my school/hopefully uni out of the way, then when I have a decent job and some cash i'll get a bigger upgrade :D

Certainly a sizeable piece of kit^ :shocked:

I would have liked something even bigger but I barely have the money... My plan at the moment is to use this until i've got all my school/hopefully uni out of the way, then when I have a decent job and some cash i'll get a bigger upgrade :D

I wasn't making a mine's bigger than yours statement, far from it. The 300p now looks 'normal' to me and I wonder if I should have looked for a 350p - Trust me it never ends, but there are several things about the 200p I miss.

One. It cooled down in a reasonable time. Honestly, if you're trying to get outside and busy with a couple of hours to spare before the cloud closes in, the 200p is a far, far better scope than the 300.

Two. On a similar note, the atmosphere and it's ministations are a great leveller. I picked the 300p up in May, during what has been a stultifyingly bad year for astronomy. Thus, with the exception of a brief 1/2 hour on Jupiter, I'm still waiting for an evening with the 300p that comes close to some of the views the 200p had the chance to deliver. That's right - To date, I've had better views with an 8" scope, simply because you get more opportunities with it. I find myself scouring the classifiieds for a 200p/EQ5 of a 120 frac, precisely because I have a 300p.

If you ever get it into your head to uprgade the 200p Dob, don't. Keep it and buy something to partner it that you will use less often. :grin:

Russell

Archived