Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Greetings from Scotland

Smithy

Hi guys,

I just wanted to introduce myself, I’m coming in as complete novice with regards to Astronomy, but I love star gazing so I’m hoping I’m half way there. When it’s not cloudy, raining or snowing the night sky is breath-taking where I live. (Luckily it’s rural with hardly any light pollution.)

I've always wanted to start star gazing as a hobby but never really committed or found the time. (I've made a few trips up to the observatory in Dundee but that’s the highlight.) I attended an astronomy lecture in my local town on Saturday night and it has inspired me to no end. I've dug out my old Tasco telescope and over the last few days I've spent countless hours engrossed studying the moon. I think it’ll do for now as I learn what I’m looking for but eventually I would like to buy a more powerful scope (I can hopefully get some advice around then!) Till then the moon and possibly Jupiter is more than enough.

Anyway hello.

Luke

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Luke,

Welcome to SGL I trust you will find it useful.

If you are interested in star parties there are two I can recommend for our Scotish friends:

The Galloway SP near Wigton, a really dark sky with great views of the Milky Way, there is a meeting there

in November 2013.

The other is the Cumbria SP at Longtown near Greta Green, a small friendly meeting.

The advantage of a star party is that you can see equipment in action over a number of

nights and get some excellent advise before splashing the cash.

Anyway, welcome!

Cheers

Adrian

PS. There is also Keilder Forest which attracts a larger numbers of people.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome,

That sounds really cool Adrian, It's definitely something I'd be interested in doing! Are there any specific websites I can use to find information about the meetings?

I'll also check those books out Damian, I have to admit I was getting a bit over whelmed when I was researching for books last night, thanks for the heads up.

Luke

Hi Luke

The Kielder spring star camp is from 6th to 10th March 2013 and is organised by the Sunderland Astronomical Society, the Kielder Autumn event is organised by the kielder Observatory and is usually around October, web sites are http://www.sunderlandastro.com/events.html and http://www.kielderobservatory.org/. For details the Galloway event e-mail stevefoy@btinternet.com.

Dave

Hi Luke,

The star party info is on this site SGL follow link to Astro Events the Star Party and all the star parties organised by members will be there.

The Cumbria SP is on from Friday 24 May till 27 May 2013.

We camp in tents, limited facilities, no electric pitches, but great people, friendly, funny and they only

drink whiskey to help the economy out. The majority of the attendees are from Scotland, so no problem with

the language for you at least.

There is a good selection of equipment there plus advice on where and how to purchase what is needed and a

rough guide to price.

Cheers

Adrian I

Archived