Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Would you swap a 4" ED refractor for a 10" dob

I am currently tempted to swap my TV 102 for a decent dob, probably a OO VX10 or one of David Lakehurst entry models.

The optical and mechanical quality of the TV 102 is second to none (I actually rate the mechanical side ever so slightly higher than my old TSA102) but I hope 10 or 12 inch might have enough optical ump to justify the change.

I live in suburban almond on and the skies are do and so.

One thing that makes me hesitate us the fact that I picked up the TV for a decent price s/h but might have to buy the dob new.

My answer: No.

Reason: More would be visible but the majority would be the very faint things that are very small. To me they would still be small and faint, elsewhere said that a larger scope would be better on things like nebula so if these are objects that you want to pick out and see then it would be better for these.

It will depend on what it is that you want to look at.

I would be very hesitant about replacing such a good scope. It might be better to get a "flux-bucket" next to it, i.e. a cheaper collapsible dob that you can transport if needed. A SW dob will show you the distant DSOs very well indeed (and they are no slouches on planets), whereas the frac gives very nice wide field views. I would not dream of replacing my APM 80mm with a Dob. I am saving up for a Dob or big cat (SCT or the OMC300) to have next to it.

even as a confirmed doboholic, I am not sure I'd make that particular swap - don't faint - I did actually say that.

personally, I would not have bought the TV 102 in the first place but assuming I got on with fracs (I don't) and had it at what appears to be a good price I would not then sell it. the comparison for me is my 6" f11 dob which I bought for a steal and is quite a rare beast. I'd never sell it.

in your shoes, I'd sell other things or save if I wanted a dob too. a used 10" SW dob would not be too expensive and would show faint objects pretty much as well as any premium dob (although I'd buy a premium dob for other reasons such as high power planetary etc). what you buy with e.g. a Lukehurst is convenience and transportability.

I have a nice quality 4" APO frac and a 10" Dob. If I was you I would not swap the TV 102 frac for a Dob. As previously stated you get wonderful wide field views with a frac not to mention sharp views of double stars and the lunar surface especially if you have some binoviewers. I notice that you have a Herschel wedge which must give you fantastic views of the Sun.

I would recommend that you consider buying a S/H Skywatcher 10" Dob and see how it goes - if you then decide to upgrade you will have no problem selling that scope.

Mark

Wow what a response :) I think the advise to get a SW dob at some point might be the best way out of my dilemma. I am sure I would regret my decision otherwise.

I should have never parted with my SW 250 I started with ;) Just got my on a slippery slope that ended with the purchase of my refractor.

The only problem with it was the weight of the wooden base. But if you consider getting the OO base instead than you might just as we'll spend a bit more and get their tube with a pair of nice mirrors inside.

I'd hold on to the Tele Vue refractor too. I'd look out for a used Orion Optics 10" dob though in due course - my 12" F/5.3 OO tube, that Shane has put on a nice mount for me, has shown me what aperture combined with real optical quality can do and thats pretty impressive :smiley:

Used OO tubes are not expensive and, with the right mount, can be pretty portable for their aperture.

It's nice to have a good quality refractor (or two !) in the stable as well as a great quality dob :grin:

Iv got a Vixen 102" F10 Refactor.Swap it

for a Dob.You have got to be joking.

This is so easy to set up & use.

I bought a C11 scope because, i wanted

something bigger,but the Vixen still

gets used.There are a few s/hand dobs

out there.Dont sell the Frac.

Steve.

Definitely keep it. I think a nice 4" refractor and 10" Dob are perfect partners. They each offer such different yet complimentary things. I have only one more telescope to get to complete my ideal stable and that is a 4" refractor.

I'll add my "No" to the thread as well. I would not even do that with my ED100. Some might call it a trash scope but I beg to differ. Those little champagne coloured scopes fetch next to nothing on the second hand market but they are nice scopes punching a bit above their weight class. The "no" is even louder in view of your particular refractor. Get a SW or Orion dob for now and if you get on with it or really get aperture fever than you can save up for a premium big bucket.

I'll add my "No" to the thread as well. I would not even do that with my ED100. Some might call it a trash scope but I beg to differ. Those little champagne coloured scopes fetch next to nothing on the second hand market but they are nice scopes punching a bit above their weight class. The "no" is even louder in view of your particular refractor. Get a SW or Orion dob for now and if you get on with it or really get aperture fever than you can save up for a premium big bucket.

Those " little champagne coloured scopes " are excellent optically.

I can't say I've ever heard them referred to as "trash scopes" to be honest. I certainly wouldn't :smiley:

Just to be different I would say get the one you want. if you will use the dob more than a tv refractor get the dob a scope is best if you are using it. The fact that you are considering swapping indicates that the televue isn't quite doing it for you. As a person who can only use a portable scope I dream of a larger scope and better views. Some people may see the televue as an investment but it's not its a telescope It's like a house it's only an investment when you sell it up. till then its a place to live. a televue is to look through not look at. The same as their eyepieces etc its why they spend so much time making them so good optically. If its not doing it for you get something that will. What's the use of driving round in a rolls if you need a Range rover? In answer to your question would I swap? The answer is no but if I was able to use a large dob I would.

Whilst the scope that gets used most is best, you do need to consider when you would get another TV102, they don't exactly grow on trees.

I love the views through my 14" dob but the thing is just so bulky and heavy. My TV102 is up and running on an ALT Az mount in 60 seconds with no effort at all.

Just my 2p worth of course....

Cheers

Stuart

Archived