My telescope??

Shread

Hey and hi to everyone, this is my first ever post!! :)

I've got the stargazing bug and so I bought a telescope, I was inspired just by looking through a pair binoculars at the seven sisters, I was hooked!

I got my scope off and auction site but dint read up on which one was good or just a rip off cheap made in china thing, it's big boss telescope with a 150 x 1400 refractor, I've had it about 1 year now and I still can't get a decent image of Jupiter , it's just blurry :(

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Shread :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Shread

You've probably done all of this, but if the scope is a reflector, have you collimated it? Lots of guides on how to do this and if the collimation is well out, it could really degrade the images you get. Athough the seben brand isn't the best, there are some good chinese telescopes out there - lots of the skywatcher stuff is very good indeed.

Anyway, welcome to the Lounge!

:( I really dint wanna here that lol well it's my own fault for not doing my reserch, you live and learn!

What would you think the best thing is for my situation? I'd feel bad to go sell it on.

Suppose that's just the way the world is ATM, a bit like finding a beef burger without horse in it??? Lol

whats the best way to get stared but with out spending 1000's?

can anyone help?

And thanx for the welcome great stuff! :grin:

Hi Shread

Its a shame about that scope. As for where to go next, well, it depends how much your budget is, but you can still get started relatively cheaply. You could get some 10x50 binoculars of your own and learn your way round the sky whilst you save for something bigger? Maybe something like these for £65: http://www.firstligh...binocular.html. You may be able to get something better or as good for less eslewhere.

Or if you can stretch to it, something like the Skywatcher heritage 130mm dob is well recommended, at £138 from our sponsor, http://www.firstligh...-flextube.html.

Or for something larger/more expensive a 150mm dob - this is also well regarded and should serve you well for quite a while; great scope for the price £215; http://www.firstligh...dobsonian.html. You may be able to pick up a good second hand scope on a site like astrobuysell too.

Good luck with your search and don't give up on the stars...they'll be waiting for you when you get the scope or binoculars you want! You could download a planetarium porgramme like Stellarium as well - good way to work out whats up there!

Archived