Best Jupiter ever for me this evening

John

Just a quick report that I'm currently having the best views I've ever had of Jupiter in 30 years in the hobby this evening :smiley:

This is my 2nd evening using my new-to-me 12" Orion Optics / Moonshane dobsonian and the views of the giant planet are simply wonderful :grin:

The gusts of wind have died away more now to I can wind the power up - after 45 minutes cool down 159x and then 265x were perfectly usable and were giving sharply defined views. Another 20 minutes on and I'm now finding 318x is producing a large and contrasty planetary disk. Colours are showing that I've not detected before with slate grey mixing with tan, orange and chocolate within the cloud belts. The Great Red Spot is beautifully defined and is encircled with a thin pale rim within it's hollow in the SEB. I can see contrast variations within the pale orange of the spot itself and there is a complex of pale eddies and whirls in a chain following the GRS around the disk.

Absolutely superb :grin:

I'm off out again !

Just a quick report that I'm currently having the best views I've ever had of Jupiter in 30 years in the hobby this evening :smiley:

This is my 2nd evening using my new-to-me 12" Orion Optics / Moonshane dobsonian and the views of the giant planet are simply wonderful :grin:

The gusts of wind have died away more now to I can wind the power up - after 45 minutes cool down 159x and then 265x were perfectly usable and were giving sharply defined views. Another 20 minutes on and I'm now finding 318x is producing a large and contrasty planetary disk. Colours are showing that I've not detected before with slate grey mixing with tan, orange and chocolate within the cloud belts. The Great Red Spot is beautifully defined and is encircled with a thin pale rim within it's hollow in the SEB. I can see contrast variations within the pale orange of the spot itself and there is a complex of pale eddies and whirls in a chain following the GRS around the disk.

Absolutely superb :grin:

I'm off out again !

You shouldn't have come in until it's clouded over :D. Got to make the most of these clear nights.

I only popped in to warm up a bit :smiley:

Sorry if the above sounded a bit "gushy". It's been a lean few months observing-wise so getting out again is great in itself - but those views :shocked:

I'm not using a filter by the way.

but John, fast dobs, manually driven are not usable at high powers on planets and are not the 'right' instrument for the job! has nobody told you? :grin::evil: and a ;)

sounds like a great night. enjoy!

Nothing wrong with the views from my scope. Jus' sayin' ;).

That is of course, when the clouds aren't out, like they are now :(.

No clouds yet but the wind is gusting again. A 12" dob is a bit of a "sail" in the wind !

These curved spider vanes seem good - no diffraction spikes even on Sirius. The view looks a bit "refractor like" :grin:

Its really nice out back... Freezing but nice, I've even had a quick go at webcamming Jupiter with my £4 asda cam , just got to work out all these options in Registax now.

cheers for the heads up , had a nice 90 minutes... A bit like Roy Hodgson did :D

Fantastic views here too! Reluctantly just came indoors to get ready for work tomorrow. It's pretty nifty to know that after only a couple of months after getting my first telescope, and this being only the third night I've ever been able to use it, that I have been lucky enough to witness what John has referred to the best Jupiter in 30 years. Maybe I should get back out there before my scope warms up again and just struggle through tomorrow?

I only popped in to warm up a bit smiley.gif

Sorry if the above sounded a bit "gushy". It's been a lean few months observing-wise so getting out again is great in itself - but those views shocked.gif

I'm not using a filter by the way.

"Gushy", no never, views like that can only be described as one would talk about a fine single malt..:)

I'm a bit annoyed I couldn't use the scope when it was clear, and has been cloudy since. However, every Jupiter session this year seems to have been better than the last. Jupiter this year has been my favourite planetary views todate.

• 2 weeks later...

We have been waiting for a break in the weather for such a long time now, and yes I agree Jupiter has been fantastic, only managed to view with the moon high in the sky, so contrast was low, but even so, she looked great!

Looking forwarded to getting another clear evening, this time with no moon.

Happy observing !

Archived