Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

February passing asteroid

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be so close we ought to be able to hear it roar like the one on Armaggedon (or Deep Impact whichever one it was) :D.

Its 58m according to Spaceweather but 45 per NASA and should be just under 22,000 miles at its nearest point (34,500 km). I can't wait. :) Not sure whether it will be on the UK side of the earth but it's closest approach is about 19:30 GMT according to the NASA page. That should make it visible to us in the UK - if my logic is correct!

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news174.html

I have put details of this on my blog (below in signature) showing the visibility from the UK.

Unfortunately, although it reaches 7th magnitude on that day, by the time it rises for us at about 11:30pm, the magnitude has dropped to below 10.

It passes close to M63 as well, but by this time has faded to 12th magnitude.

So will be a bit of a challenge. But I'm giving it a go, providing it's clear.

The BAA have just released details of this and their path is a bit different to the one C2A gave for me and about 2 hours ahead.

So it should be above the horizon when fairly bright now.

I will probably go with their prediction now. There is a link that same blog entry.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I queried the date with Prof. Ian Morison at Jodrell Bank yesterday as he has it down for the 16th on their website, and his answer is most helpful as follows 'It is closest to the Earth on the evening of the 15th but only visible to us around 00:00 UT on the 16th so I believe that I was correct to say the morning of the 16th'. See his article here: http://www.jb.man.ac.uk/astronomy/nightsky/

So, if clear, i will be watching on both the 15th and 16th.

"On the 15th of February a big lump of rock will pass extremely close to the Earth.

So close in fact that it will come closer in than the geosynchronous satellites.

Now that’s close!"

So, if my Sky goes off I should call NASA not Sky Customer services?

• 2 weeks later...
Do you think this would be best viewed with binoculars or a low power eyepiece like a 30mm?
Ideal object for medium-sized binoculars, like a 15x70.
any idea where exactly to look and what time
See link in my previous post; it has positions marked every 10 minutes.

Using todays data from the Minor Planet centre to update my Starry Night programme

Are those heliocentric or geocentric elements that you used? If the former, expect the position to be out by a long way, especially if Starry Night (like most planetarium programs) uses a two-body solution (usually adequate, but not for something this close) instead of a numerically integrated/iterative one. (I have no idea which it uses.) Also, because of the parallax due to its closeness, you must run a topocentric, not geocentric, track.

There's some geocentric ephemerides, based on recent observations, at the bottom of http://www.projectpl...//temp/da14.htm

Archived