Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific eyepieces - get them while you can in the UK

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dunkster

it's shore looks like it's going that way, as for the E/S 20mm I am still waiting for the weather to change if it ever does

The 9mm 100fov in my opinion is definitely worth having, it works sol welgreat in my f/10 and my friends Dob I think that is f/5

you have seen film of the Apollo 11 mission to the Moon when they filmed out of there window and looks really close well so does this :grin: and it's a much clearer view

so I am exspecting good things from this E/S 20mm by what I have read on here and cloudy night I am hoping for a winner just need a good clear night :cry::grin: :grin:

Barry

I know I've gone overboard but I can't help my self I think I am possessed by Galileo Galilei he keeps telling me to buy them :evil::grin:

anyway are you getting any eyepieces in the near future

it's a shame we don't live near each other, you could try them out with me it's nice to share :laugh:

Been following this thread with interest, especially the UK price issue and FLO being frustrated in their attempt to rectify things.

As there is a plethora of dealers for ES in the EU and US, has anybody took the time to check all and find the best one for price and reliability incl. currency exchange, VAT, and shipping? I was looking at Optical Systems but the blumming pound has dived again against the Euro which might bring the US back into play.

Somthing like the Explore Scientific 82° Series 30mm :cool:

Woking

I've found Agena Astro and Hands On Optics in the US to be reliable and good delivery rates, never had a gripe. Had to cancel orders from Scope City and High Point Scientific as was waiting too long for stock that was in stock.

Barry

+2 and likewise - All of mine have come from HOO. The charge a very reasonable $15 shipping for the 1.25" and 18mm EPs and $30 for the 24/30mm and pairs of the 1.25"

I Had an 18mm ES82 which had an errant spec near the field stop and it was replaced by them under warranty within 7 working days. I've had two warranty issues on UK sourced items that have taken 3 months plus and one rumbles on still, although both are more to do with importers slack back-up.

Russell

Dunkster and Barry

Thanks for all your help guys ,I thought you was supposed to have stopped me and give me encouragement not to buy :grin:

well he :evil: won the Explore Scientific 14mm 100FOV is on it's way, I now have to apologise to everyone for the next 4 weeks of bad weather :clouds2:

Congratulations Doug :smiley:

I think the :evil: has good taste. I've just managed a few quick peeks though my newly acquired (used) ES 20mm 100 so far and I've been very impressed. It's the most immersive eyepiece I've looked through to date :smiley:

I'm sure you will love the views :smiley:

PS: I'll take some of the blame for the bad weather if you like :grin:

Hi Sam (you may already know this Sam but for thoughs that don't )

Yes you do save by buying from the USA but only with certain criteria, first of all there has to be a good reduction on the good like the E/S 20mm 100fov now

first you pay the vendor for the eyepiece and then for the post that was $83.95 and when it hits you door you pay 20%VAT and about £11.50 handling fee so for all you guys and gals that have never done this before be aware of the VAT and handling on top for the purchase and always get a recommendation for the vendor, I use OPT.com

Hi John

I.m so happy that you are willing to take some of the blame :rolleyes: but as I've just ordered the E/S14mm 100 fov I think I should take more of the blame still haven't used the 20mm :mad: up to now

weather here is so cloudy but I did tell the wife you told me to buy the 14mm :evil: and I may have implicated Alan in this :grin:

clear skies

Hi Sam (you may already know this Sam but for thoughs that don't )

Yes you do save by buying from the USA but only with certain criteria, first of all there has to be a good reduction on the good like the E/S 20mm 100fov now

first you pay the vendor for the eyepiece and then for the post that was $83.95 and when it hits you door you pay 20%VAT and about £11.50 handling fee so for all you guys and gals that have never done this before be aware of the VAT and handling on top for the purchase and always get a recommendation for the vendor, I use OPT.com

Same as I did last year, I sold them early this year, didn't lose out either, now I have Meade 5000 UWANs and can say are just as good. I can recomend 5000 UWANS

Hi Coco

I agree with you Guy the Meade UWA 82fov have lovely views I have the 18mm UWA 1.25 and the 30mm 2" they give a nice warm felling looking through them

why did you sell them, did you have the 82 fov or the 100fov ??

Ordered mine last night from the States and it's on its way. I'll be interested to see if I have to pay any import duty, although I know I'll get stung for VAT. Still represents a huge saving over buying within the EU.

As I get older, I find myself getting even more grumpy with the slightest thing, such as having to get a 1.25" adapter to use my Panoptic 15mm, so I'm slowly but surely on the way to just having 2" eyepieces; very slowly though as at the moment, I only have a Baader 31mm. If I like this 9mm, then I might just plump for a 2" powermate and see how I get on. I hate having to faff around too much with different bits.

Ordered mine last night from the States and it's on its way. I'll be interested to see if I have to pay any import duty, although I know I'll get stung for VAT. Still represents a huge saving over buying within the EU.

As I get older, I find myself getting even more grumpy with the slightest thing, such as having to get a 1.25" adapter to use my Panoptic 15mm, so I'm slowly but surely on the way to just having 2" eyepieces; very slowly though as at the moment, I only have a Baader 31mm. If I like this 9mm, then I might just plump for a 2" powermate and see how I get on. I hate having to faff around too much with different bits.

I know you will be happy with these eyepieces they are stunning and will not stay at this price for very long

I have a Revealation Diagonal that takes 1.25 and 2." as I still use 1.25 eyepieces like the Meade 18mm UWA the first UWA eyepiece I ever owned and after all the eyepieces I have got I still love using this eyepieces

clear skies

where did you buy from ? I'm about to order a 20mm ES 100 deg EP from the US ....

Sam

Hands on optics just quoted me $299 for the 14mm 100* with first class mail for $20 or $38 first class priority international. Both insured, one might take 3 weeks the other 7-10 days. The priority doesn't normally take that long i've found, usuall 4-5 working days.

Barry

Cheers Doug,

My only experiences of 2" eyepieces so far have been pretty underwhelming, but then in an f4.8 I suppose it's unfair to expect too much from mid-range ones. The Hyperion's fine, but I don't go wow. Looking forward to seeing the Moon etc at medium power surrounded by black sky!

where did you buy from ? I'm about to order a 20mm ES 100 deg EP from the US ....

I went to Hands On Optics, although had to send an email to sort it as their checkout system doesn't like international shipping...used paypal and it worked fine.

Hi Sam

You will not be disapointed in your LB 12" it will look amazing with that fov as I sure your find out soooon I can't wait to try it out on my friends 12" DOB

clear skies

Archived