Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific eyepieces - get them while you can in the UK

Sam

Hands on optics just quoted me $299 for the 14mm 100* with first class mail for $20 or $38 first class priority international. Both insured, one might take 3 weeks the other 7-10 days. The priority doesn't normally take that long i've found, usuall 4-5 working days.

Barry

Hi Barry

hope you don't mean that the eyepiece is going to be on the move for three weeks sounds like a boat trip to me :grin: lucky the eyepieces are made like a Tank :grin:

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The race is on, I just ordered a 20mm 100deg :D

Nice :smiley:

I've just bought one of those from a member here. Very impressive eyepiece in my 12" F/5.3 dob :smiley:

I've just got to decide between it and my 20mm T5 Nagler - tough choice :grin:

Is there a review comming John? :grin:

When you say "choice", does this mean that each has it's own merit and weakness, aside from the obvious FOV difference? It would obviously be interesting to know your thoughts considering the amount praise heaped upon both.

On the other hand, the thought of three ES100s in-bound has my wallet quaking. Thank god bonus time will be after the ES 'Summer' Sale finishes.....

Russell

Is there a review comming John? :grin:

When you say "choice", does this mean that each has it's own merit and weakness, aside from the obvious FOV difference? It would obviously be interesting to know your thoughts considering the amount praise heaped upon both.

Once I've given them both some decent sessions I'll happily post a report :smiley:

When you get to this level of quality I reckon you are trying to describe their characteristics rather than setting them against each other. Both are clearly excellent eyepieces :smiley:

If we believe eveything we see on the interweb, then the trade offs are Ethos FOV at Nagler type prices, possibly lacking the last 1-5% of sharpness of either, somewhere within that FOV. It's been said so often, plenty who have experienced neither, parrot it as fact.

I'll certainly be interested to hear your thoughts, especially as so many 'reviews'* end up being in some benign F8 frac! :)

Russell

*I didn't say CN, but you know I was thinking it.

Nice :smiley:

I've just bought one of those from a member here. Very impressive eyepiece in my 12" F/5.3 dob :smiley:

I've just got to decide between it and my 20mm T5 Nagler - tough choice :grin:

My turn John, LOL

you should keep them both, they are both great eyepieces but to be honest it depends on what scope you use it on, how much eye relief they have and one is water proof :confused:

congratulations John I'm sure you will have great fun testing them out, As I will and I'm sure that you will not have any problem selling of the other eyepiece as they are both great eyepieces

a few years ago I would have the eyepiece you don't want in a heart beat :grin:

Hi Barry

hope you don't mean that the eyepiece is going to be on the move for three weeks sounds like a boat trip to me :grin: lucky the eyepieces are made like a Tank :grin:

Oh well, Doug, I gave in and ordered the 14mm !! Really, I think I'm deluding myself because the weather here recently has been shocking, I know there is a new moon coming which would normally offer hope, but I'm lowering my expectations daily....

I seriously hope we Western Europe observers get a well deserved break soon.....

Barry

Nice one Barry, there's the spirit :evil: be interested in your feedback whenever you get to use it. That FL is a weak spot for me at the moment, only a ES82 14mm holding the fort :eek::grin:

So will be keeping my eyes peeled with all the reports of these 100 degree beasties. Must resist! Prolly wouldn't matter all that much at f/10 anyhow :cool:

Oh well, Doug, I gave in and ordered the 14mm !! Really, I think I'm deluding myself because the weather here recently has been shocking, I know there is a new moon coming which would normally offer hope, but I'm lowering my expectations daily....

I seriously hope we Western Europe observers get a well deserved break soon.....

Barry

Hi Barry

Well done mate that is fantastic, I'm sure it's will be great in your scopes I can't wait to try mine out expecting cloud again Monday slight snow Tuesday and Thursday I don't stand a chance :sad: so you will have to do it for me and let me know how you get on :grin: :grin:

all the best clear skies

Nice one Barry, there's the spirit :evil: be interested in your feedback whenever you get to use it. That FL is a weak spot for me at the moment, only a ES82 14mm holding the fort :eek::grin:

So will be keeping my eyes peeled with all the reports of these 100 degree beasties. Must resist! Prolly wouldn't matter all that much at f/10 anyhow :cool:

Hi Dunkster

I have the 14mm 82* at the moment. I like it loads but also like the 100* when I got the 20mm in 100*.

I may have been overzealous at some point cleaning the 14mm because I notice an unevenness on the coatings. I can't say I notice anything while viewing, especially DSOs. I was going to sell the 14mm and then get the 100* version, but I got impatient and went off and ordered the 100* !!!!

If anyone wants a deal on the 14mm 82* , it'll be feeling all lonesome soon. Mind you, that's if the EP case is opened at all for the next few weeks.

Note to self: must shut up about the weather!!

Barry

The 30mm ES 82 is a welcome interloper in my TV collection, its very nice, certainly a step up from what I was using. I can't compare it to the nagler equivalent as I've never used one but from what others have said its very close on performance for significantly less money

The 30mm 82° ES is lovely. The only reason I don't own one is that the exit pupil is too much for my home sky and I prefer the slightly darker background of the 28mm.

Back in the land of 82 degree EP,s that I might be able to afford.... What's the opinion on the 30mm? I'm after somethin for a lowest power panoramic EP

I have the older 30mm and I love it. It's very good at F5 and suffers a little at F4.5 at the outer maybe 20%. I have a coma corrector but most of the time i couldn't be bothered to use it, so it couldn't be that bad, could it?:) :)

Barry

My scope is an f5 150mm newt so I reckon 30mm is the lowest I can go before the exit pupil get's a bit much.

The competitor from TV is the redoubtable Teminagler 31mm which is a whopping twice the price of the ES effort and completely out of my price range :embarrassed: for shame.

As an alternative..... Any thoughts on the Vixen LVW 30mm? How would it stand up next to the ES?...

Actually scratch that ... I do rather want an 82 degree widefield EP - just can't think of alternatives that are good :huh:

My scope is an f5 150mm newt so I reckon 30mm is the lowest I can go before the exit pupil get's a bit much.

The competitor from TV is the redoubtable Teminagler 31mm which is a whopping twice the price of the ES effort and completely out of my price range :embarrassed: for shame.

As an alternative..... Any thoughts on the Vixen LVW 30mm? How would it stand up next to the ES?...

Actually scratch that ... I do rather want an 82 degree widefield EP - just can't think of alternatives that are good :huh:

The 28mm Nirvana / UWAN is very good. Very close to Nagler 31 performance - I've compared them directly :smiley:

Thanks Barry :cool: like I need any encouragement :D

I should also add that the 14mm 82 is no slouch in my SCTs, little to none of the FC reports for this EP, and is nicely weighted and compact. Easily fits in a pocket :D

I concur with the sentiments about 30mm, I know f/10 isn't really a food challenge, but the view is very pretty, very immersive :cool: oh and a bargain too at current US / DE prices.

I have the older LV30 and it is very nice indeed. Nothing at all between that and the ES. I only switched to the ES 28 for a wider aFOV and a more convenient focus point.

Well price wise we have;

SW Nirvana 28mm @£245

Meade 5000 UWA @£255

and the ES 82deg @£289

O and just for a laugh the Terminagler @ £555

Is there much in it performance wise @ f5 or should I go for the cheapest?

Ratings of the above?

Archived