Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific eyepieces - get them while you can in the UK

The 31mm Nagler is slightly better than the rest :grin:

Having actually compared a Nirvana 28mm directly with my Nagler 31 for several sessions a while back I know how close that one is to the Nagler's performance and I could certainly live with it. I've not used the Meade or the ES so I can't comment on those. I had an F/5 12" newt back then as my fastest scope. Be prepared for the weight which ever you go for - these are really large, heavy eyepieces !

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well price wise we have;

SW Nirvana 28mm @£245

Meade 5000 UWA @£255

and the ES 82deg @£289

O and just for a laugh the Terminagler @ £555

Is there much in it performance wise @ f5 or should I go for the cheapest?

Ratings of the above?

I've owned all three of the above Rob and found them all excellent. The eye cup (face cup!!) of the 28 Nirvana takes a bit of getting used to but optically its excellent. I also compared the 31 Nagler and the 30 ES side by side in my 12" f5 dob for over a month & found little to separate them. I've since sold both but if I was in the market for an ultra low power 2" I would snap up another ES in a heartbeat! Its also the cheapest at approx £225 delivered....

http://www.optical-systems.com/explore-scientific-82deg-eyepiece-30mm-p-22841.html

Could someone anwser this question for me

A eyepiece in the EU costs e249.00 =£216.99 and there is 20%VAT +Customs +airport tax =?

A eyepiece in USA costs $249.00 =166.87 and there is 20%VAT +Customs +airport Tax

Now I'm not sure about the post from Germany so lets say in your hands in 3 days the same as from the USA wich is $83.00 wich one is better value

or am I missing something ? as I look at the prices and can only see USA being cheper

Many thanks

Thanks for that Rik .. Might have to have myself one of those!.........Erm any tips on how to get the purchase past the wife? :eek:

Get it delivered to work and then sneak it into the house behind a big bunch of flowers ;)

Get it delivered to work and then sneak it into the house behind a big bunch of flowers ;)

Before you can do that you have to establishing the precedent of giving flowers for no particular reason, otherwise she's sure to know something's up :)

James

Before you can do that you have to establishing the precedent of giving flowers for no particular reason, otherwise she's sure to know something's up :)

James

Probably why I've not managed to pull it off successfully yet :(

Aye, I've been caught out by this too... :(

James

Perhaps that should be a piece of advice I give my son if he gets married: "Buy flowers for your wife regularly. You never know when having a history of doing so will be to your benefit."

James

"Say it with a Triffid"

(no, not the Trifid).

James

:grin: "The gift that keeps on giving eating" :grin:

(note the girl hiding her ES 100 eyepiece in her boyfriends parka while he is distracted)

post-118-0-96666000-1363022380_thumb.jpg

Geez guys, this is an easy one... keep your scope and stuff out in the shed/garage, get it delivered to work, and then it's just a quick transfer from car boot to kit box :evil:

No flowers / chocolates necessary :D

Hey Dunkster

Getting the kit into the case is the EASY bit. It's the credit card statement that's the tricky bit. Trying to convince my wife that those hundreds of €s purchases in $ are for important medical procedures that I didn't want to worry her about is tricky in the extreme!!!!

Barry

PS: she could be forgiven for thinking I'm the Bionic man by now.....

:D stop paper statements.... it's better for the environment :police:

The environment as in the whole Earth, or the environment in the office when your wife finds out what you did? :lol:

Back to the original post.. as we're far from it by now. I'd personally rather, at the moment at least, get the ES EPs from the US, the price difference is just too great, whether that's down to VAT and Import Duty, or set by the importer, or is just profiteering is irrelevant to me now.

Following on from that. I just ordered the ES 14mm 100* from HOO on thur. Heard nothing, no credit card damage. Emailed to find out today none in stock. I must admit I find this infuriating. Maybe when I enquired a couple of days earlier, they could have advised me they were out of them. It took my email to get clarity. I've asked to cancel, as I don't fancy waiting weeks for stock. I'll try Agena next.

Knocks the fun out of it, this.

Barry

Archived