Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific eyepieces - get them while you can in the UK

Just thought I'd update everyone as I've had notifcation from Parcel Force that I've to pay £41.53 import VAT on my eyepiece I ordered from Hands On Optics. There's also the obligatory £8.00 charge from Parcel Force (which to me is like buying a ticket for a train and then being charged extra if I actually really want to travel on it). So, added to the $287 the eyepiece and shipping cost, which I work out to be about £190, I'll end up having paid £240 for the eyepiece....which is still cheaper than buying from within the UK or EU by some distance. The only downside is that saving is going to have to go to my anger management therapist due to Parcel Force's "clearance fee".

I did say on the one of the 17 page about 20%VAT £11.00 customer charge postage ect you should still be in pocket against UK prices :grin:

You did not say what you have puchased ?

clear skies

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry - haven't read back over the past few pages, but you're right, charges do now seem consistent. I seem to remember in the past it was hit and miss whether you got charged or not, but those days are long gone.

I got (or am getting on Wednesday) the 9mm 100º eyepiece. Quite excited!

Sorry - haven't read back over the past few pages, but you're right, charges do now seem consistent. I seem to remember in the past it was hit and miss whether you got charged or not, but those days are long gone.

I got (or am getting on Wednesday) the 9mm 100º eyepiece. Quite excited!

Congratulation on E/S 9mm 100fov a lovely eyepiece :smiley: I have used my one on a 12"Dob f/5 and my Meade 8" f/10 great for the Moon and Planets so far, if only the weather was a better

clear skies

Well im still waiting for my 20es100 to arrive from hands on optics. I have found the UK post office tracking number, so it can't be long now. Frustrating, but the price you pay for saving £200 ;)

Hi Sam

Yes but you did save on the postage ,I got mine within three days paid top post ,and the weathers so bad I have not used it yet, so you did the right thing You may get it tomorrow it is a lovely eyepiece

let us know when you get it

Doug

Well im still waiting for my 20es100 to arrive from hands on optics. I have found the UK post office tracking number, so it can't be long now. Frustrating, but the price you pay for saving £200 ;)

Does anyone actually buy these things at the full UK price ?.

I doubt it!

Thats what I thought. In which case, the importing process is establishing "real world" pricing benchmarks which will presumably be used when some of these hit the used market ?

Well, it's still for sale so obviously not good enough value :evil:

Yes but to be fair those that had the money to buy one or even two have done so by now but there should be someone that mite like to save a few more pounds and no postage

that E/S 9mm is a really good eyepiece can't wait to get it out of the box again :grin:

I almost picked that one up from abs but 9mm was a bit too much power on my 1950mm focal length dob. Was originally going to get a set of ES 82 degrees EPs but crumbled at the last minute and order the 14mm 100 afov ep + one of those nice Antares 1.6x barlows (which I'll try on the 30mm Moonfish). Can't wait to see what these ultrawides are like :D

Yes but to be fair those that had the money to buy one or even two have done so by now but there should be someone that mite like to save a few more pounds and no postage

that E/S 9mm is a really good eyepiece can't wait to get it out of the box again :grin:

Isn't that how the market defines the price? :evil:

I'd love a look through one of these beasties :eek:

hmm, that reminds me that I'll have to get some counterbalances for the dob. It's slightly top heavy with the 30mm already and that 14mm looks heavy!

I put a post in DIY Astronomer yesterday with a great idea for a variable set dob counter balance. Have a look :)

How did you find that out ?

If you have your tracking number and it's coming via parcelforce then you can see the customs status. (many overseas couriers that only deliver nationally pass off their delivers to PF - USPS for instance pass off to PF)

Not sure if UPS, DHL, FedEx etc show customs status on their tracking, they might. Depends who your courier is.

On royal mail site or parcel force? the code works on both by the way

If you put the code into parcel force and once tracked click on the parcel number (should be a hyperlink) it gives you detail

I know because Im sat here watchn my own parcels work their way to me :)

I went on hands on optics website to look at es EPs but on the check out it says they don't deliver to the uk. Do you have to contact them first before you can make an order or have they changed their policy on where they will deliver to?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Archived