Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Explore Scientific eyepieces - get them while you can in the UK

I have just ordered a 9mm ES 100° FOV 2" eyepiece for use with my 12" Skywatcher Dob - I was so impressed with one that I borrowed at the Peak Star Party last year.

Anyway, speaking to Pete at Telescope house, he said that the distributors are pulling out of the UK and you will soon only be able to buy Explore Scientific eyepieces in Europe only in Germany.

I know that many people buy them from the US anyway, but if you are the sort of person who prefers to do business with a UK retailer, and you are thinking about getting an ES eyepiece, I suggest that you act quickly as Telescope House are trying to get rid of their remaining stock.

There are also some deals to be done as well if you negotiate . . . .

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've bought all of my ES82s from the US at a considerable saving and the one that needed warranty backup, was replaced within a week. I've had two warranty issues on UK sourced products. The first took 3 months and I'm still counting on the second one which, ironically, came via Telescope House. I'm not blaming them on this one though, as Southern Stars are clearly the issue.

It's a global market and I can see no reason why buying in the UK, should be preferable over the EU (which is our market), or over the US. Sure, get them in the UK while you can, but expect to pay a massive premium and don't expect the backup to be any better or faster.

Russell

I wonder if people buying them from the states is one of the reasons why they are pulling out of the UK? More likely that they just don't sell enough of them to justify having a presence here, maybe they would sell more if they sold them at a more competitive price compared to other countries

maybe they would sell more if they sold them at a more competitive price compared to other countries

Amen to that! There's no way I would buy these in the UK, even factoring in import duty, there is still a significant saving to be had buying abroad.

i hear alot of good things regarding the es 82's. how do the es 70 degree eyepieces rate ? they seem to have a reasonable price on them .

I recall a comment someone made the other day that whilst the 82s and 68s are good, the 70s aren't that hot. I wasn't paying full attention though as I'm not in the market for eyepieces at the moment.

James

Maybe FLO should have a word with them. i always thought it was weird that ES picked Telescope House as their outlet myself.

I think Telescope House was Meade's distributor in the UK and ES had a relationship with Meade. May be ES was using Meade's distribution network.

Meade Europe is owned by ES parent company JOC, so it make some sense to transfer the operation to Germany.

Still it'd be a bit odd that ES will pull out of UK, but I'm not surprise because buying from US is much cheaper than buying local. ES is probably not selling well here.

I recall a comment someone made the other day that whilst the 82s and 68s are good, the 70s aren't that hot. I wasn't paying full attention though as I'm not in the market for eyepieces at the moment.

James

just dont seem mentioned alot, where as the 82 degree are amongst the most mentioned on the forum , perhaps that tells its own story i dont know.

The 70s are more or less the same as the WO SWANs, old Revelation wides etc.

They are manufactured by Kunming United Optics, with slight variation. They are ok at F10 perhaps 8, not great but ok for casual observation. A more discerning user will note average sharpness, high scatter, field deterioration etc.

They are ok for the price, but certainly not in the same league at the 68 and 82s.

Perhaps ES will follow Celestron and Meade and put a stop to their US dealers selling outside the US so that the EU dealers can clean up on this side of the pond ?.

more than likely and tbh it seals my fate as i dont want to go through the hassle of another US order so guess i need to find another ep manufacturer when/if i ever upgrade.or second hand all the way from now on.

I don't know if this is short sightedness by ExSc as a Company or a result of what happens when so many shop for these eyepieces in America. I myself only use overseas when I can't get it here throught my local dealer, to use the States is crazy for me, it's quicker to fly there and get it.

Alan

Can anyone rec a reputable US based supplier of ES EPs ?

As Russell says, Hands On Optics - I've used several times also, Gary Hand is a funny guy to chat to! - and OPT and Astronomics are all reputable. There are others, but those are the only ones I've experience with.

Yes and add in carriage, import duty, VAT and the handling fee and it would land in the UK for about £270, compared to £340 from Optical Systems. That's an £70 differential, compared to the current £120 difference from Telescope house. For many, that would be close enough to avoid shopping in the US and it would turn up about 7-14days quicker from Europe. However, I've had EPs land from the US that have missed all of the customs charges.....

But when you run the same calculations, inc possible import taxes on an ES82 24mm, there's about £20 in it compared to the Euro source. I'm guessing there would be practically nothing in it with the ES68 EPs and I'm not sure that makes it worth shopping over the pond.

If the object is to keep markets shopping within their own zones of distribution, then compressing the price differential is the obvious way to go. The fact is, transport costs are higher in Europe as is VAT, which is typically 15-22%, against individual US States Sales Tax of 1-10%. As such, not only are prices unlikely to be cheaper than the US, they don't have to be.

Russell

I am waiting on a 11mm 82 should be here anyday,i got it from Agena Astro in the US,i have bought from them on other occasions and have never had to pay import or tax,just delivery and excellent service,the eyepiece will cost £73 in total.

I am waiting on a 11mm 82 should be here anyday,i got it from Agena Astro in the US,i have bought from them on other occasions and have never had to pay import or tax,just delivery and excellent service,the eyepiece will cost £73 in total.

WOW!!, thats astonishing value for money Paul!

Archived