NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello, from the Black Country.

Ragnar

Hello all,

I've been interested in astronomy since I was a kid, my main problem with observing in recent years has been light polution coming from street lamps backing onto my back yard and bathing it with an orange glow, after the neighbours cut their connifers down.

But since moving house last summer I no longer have that problem, there is still some light polution, as to be expected in the West Midlands, but the back yard here is not in the direct glare of any street lighting.

Much of the heavy work on the house was done by Christmas, and I saw that as a cue to catch up on lost time. So I bought a Celestron 130mm (5.12") Newtonian on a GoTo mount, which had a faulty Altitude motor, so I sent it back, and got a Skywatcher 127mm (5") Mak on a GoTo instead.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Roger, the only things that could ever follow the purchase of a new telescope is cloud, fog, sleet and snow.

I got a view of Jupiter through the 25mm eye piece on the Barlow Lense, and got some glimpses of some of it's finer cloud bands...in between the muck and murk of our own. Better detail than I was expecting as it was clouding up, but I was looking to see how good the mount was at tracking.

Hiya Spock, it doesn't look like you are having much luck with the skies up in Sheffield. Going by the Met Office, its been cloudy again on Saturday night, and it looks like snow is on the way. :sad:

Steve and Andy, I'm now a Quarry Bonker (originally from Kingswinford).

Archived