Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light pollution filter, worth it?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I have seen, seems to be a complex area which depends on things like what lighting your local streetlights are, sodium lamps need different blocking than some newer types.

Can you post what type of street lights cause you problems, at least what colour the light they give off if you don't know the type?

That would help us respond specifically to your situation.

From what I have seen, seems to be a complex area which depends on things like what lighting your local streetlights are, sodium lamps need different blocking than some newer types.

Can you post what type of street lights cause you problems, at least what colour the light they give off if you don't know the type?

That would help us respond specifically to your situation.

This one:

SOX-Lantern-MMA.jpg

I bought a baader neodymium filter, firstly to cut out light pollution and secondly for better viewing of planets and its well worth having, I have tried general light pollution filters but prefer to have individual filters for what I will be looking at I.e. planets- neo filter for deepsky nebula Oiii filter! But it's all about personal choice.

they do work unless your street has those led lights, dont expect completely dark skies, they do cut a good chunk of it out though, although I find the difference when using visually is nearly 0, although it makes objects look much better, but from a LP point of view you can only really notice any difference during imaging.

they do work unless your street has those led lights, dont expect completely dark skies, they do cut a good chunk of it out though, although I find the difference when using visually is nearly 0, although it makes objects look much better, but from a LP point of view you can only really notice any difference during imaging.

I'm after a better visual - not astro imaging.

as soon as this awful cloud has shifted - i will be putting on a review of the ostara crystalview/moon glow filter that is currently available from lincolnsire optics for £10 via their ebay store. Looks identical to the Baader versions, but quite a bit cheaper.

Will the Baader Neodymium filter help with astrophotography or is it a visual only thing? The reason I ask is because I've got a t-ring and adapter but I don't think there's a screw thread on the bottom of the adapter to fit one of these filters to, like there is on an eyepiece. Or am I getting confused and there's another way?

I was a bit worried about spending the money some of these filters cost so i got the skywatcher one off ebay to give it a go, £20 I think.

I cant belive the differance, im that happy with it ill save the money for later. photographs that where bright orange tinted are ok now, they do have a purple tint

but thats easly removed in ps.

I was a bit worried about spending the money some of these filters cost so i got the skywatcher one off ebay to give it a go, £20 I think.

I cant belive the differance, im that happy with it ill save the money for later. photographs that where bright orange tinted are ok now, they do have a purple tint

but thats easly removed in ps.

I'm tempted to give it a shot with the Skywatcher filter. Are you talking about visual viewing rather than astro imaging?

Hola,

I'm thinking about getting the Skywatcher LP filter in order reduce the LP coming from the nearby street lamps and increase objects contrast. Do you think it's effective or at least, does it make any difference?

swlp125.jpg

I have the same one and it works for me in my garden 20K south of Dublin city. It also cancels out most of the orange glow from a streetlight 30ft away from my house when pointed directly at it.

So yes...........well worth buying.

• 2 weeks later...

I think i really need a filter, as there is a street light not that far away ,

I have a skyliner 200p should i go for the Baader Neodymium Filter or a cheaper one like on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-25-light-pollution-filter-for-telescope-eyepieces-Skywatcher-Astronomy-/160722819566?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item256bd399ee

I would like to make details pop out a bit more, more colour on planets, and blacker skies and filter out glare which i get loads of from teh moon and jupiter , which should i go for ?

thanks

Just got in from a quick test run with my Baader Neodymium Filter which I received today from FLO. The difference it's made is huge, so much more comfortable on the eye and so much more contrast. I've not tried the SW version but seem to remember their were some interesting back to back photos of the SW vs the Baader somewhere buried away on this forum.

Would the baader 49.99 under skywatcher on flo defiantly work with the skyliner 200p , give more contrast make nebula and galaxy's stand out a little better ?

My situation is I need a moon filter anyway , the baader claims to do that Job , and the light pollution reduction ancmd better overall viewing all round make it a good choice ? And worth the £50?

Hi Yesteryeargames, the Baader Neodymium Filter is a good one and will work well with the 200P, it will help with contrast on planets like Jupiter, and also Moonglow. but it will NOT help with nebula and galaxies. Narrowband filters such as UHC and OIII filters help with nebula, but the best thing for galaxies (and nebs for that matter) is dark clear country skies. Light-polluted skies are no good for nebs or galaxies, although some prominent ones can be seen.

This one:

SOX-Lantern-MMA.jpg

LP filters will work on these old type orange sodium lamps. I've got a few around me and the SW LP filter does a good job at cancelling the sky glow caused by them.. They won't work on any other type of streetlight though.

You will gain higher contrast, darker sky but your stars will not be as bright.

LP filters will work on these old type orange sodium lamps. I've got a few around me and the SW LP filter does a good job at cancelling the sky glow caused by them.. They won't work on any other type of streetlight though.

You will gain higher contrast, darker sky but your stars will not be as bright.

Good to know. How about deep space objects?

Archived