Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light pollution filter, worth it?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to know. How about deep space objects?

You won't make any DSOs brighter. Basically a LP filter will filter out some of the light you want to see as well as the stuff you don't. So it's really a matter of personal choice, some people will use UHC and OIII filters on nebulas and some prefer the unfiltered view. If you decide to try these on nebulas you will need to be in a dark site and keep a fairly large exit pupil, that is low magnification.

You won't make any DSOs brighter. Basically a LP filter will filter out some of the light you want to see as well as the stuff you don't. So it's really a matter of personal choice, some people will use UHC and OIII filters on nebulas and some prefer the unfiltered view. If you decide to try these on nebulas you will need to be in a dark site and keep a fairly large exit pupil, that is low magnification.

fair enough, thanks!

Dam i have the street lights like this http://www.spelthorn...107084Small.jpg

But there are lights from houses nearby will it help with those too ?

I think the only lights an LP filter will work with are the Low Pressure Sodium ones, these are the older style orange ones, High Pressure Sodium and LED lights, the whiter ones, are not filtered out. I think the type of light coming out of houses wouldn't be filtered either.

Archived