HI ,im a new member . HELP!!!!!!!

Dave836

Hi , my name is Dave and i recieved a celestron astromaster 130EQ MD off my family for christmas . I have always been interested in astronomy , since being a child i have always wanted a telescope but never got one . anyway , i live in oldham and since christmas day there has been 30 mins clear sky where i managed to set up and look at the moon for about a minute ! could anybody give me some basic tips , websites for cloud coverage and any local meets . Any advice would be greatly appreciated .

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL

www.sat24.com is good for satellite images showing cloud cover. Most people in the UK seem to be going through a bit of a rough patch with the weather as far as astronomy is concerned :(

James

I use sat24 for short term cloud forecast & its pretty damn accurate, for longer range forecasts I use this http://www.theweatheroutlook.com/forecast/uk/York/2 its not perfect as no long range forecast can ever be but its the most accurate i've used so far.

As for decent images are you meaning 'visual' or 'photographic' (AP) images??

Welcome to SGL

www.sat24.com is good for satellite images showing cloud cover. Most people in the UK seem to be going through a bit of a rough patch with the weather as far as astronomy is concerned :(

James

Rough patch, slight under statement :eek:

thanks for the links , will i be able to get decent images with the telescope i have ?

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. The answer is yes, you will get decent images with the 130, it's a decent scope for lunar, planetary and brighter DSO's :icon_santa:

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. Like many others above I use tend to rely on SAT.24 and the upstairs bedroom window for weather predictions, but it all seems very last minute at the moment. You will have been given a planetarium CD with your scope but an alternative bit of software you might want to consider is "Stellarium" which is free and the details are here. It can be configured to your exact observation site, shows the sky in real time and has many features that will both educate and help you locate and identify many objects that you will come across in your astral travels. It also has a useful advance date/time feature which will allow you to look ahead at the night sky to see what's coming up and when, which is particularly useful if like me you have trees in your garden and any part of your sky is obstructed.

Clear skies soon and enjoy the forum

James

Archived