Hello from Hull

sp00n

Hi guys, i am Ivan, from Hull, an electrician by trade

i recently purchased myself a Sky Watcher Astrolux 76mm Newtonian Reflector kit, i know not the best, but it is a start :cool: .

i have made a start on the Messier List (only m42 and m45 atm as there hasnt been many clear nights) Though i am cheating abit using apps on my iphone to work out where things are :grin: .

I have big plans though one of which is to use a motorised IP camera, and adapt the motors/mount .... i would also like to have a go at making my own telescope :cool:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ivan and welcome to the forum. Its not cheating to using an app, or Goto or even a friend to find out where stuff is - use what ever you find easiest to understand in order to find the objects that most interest you. Astronomy can be a life long interest so there's plenty of time to look at most things. In addition to some great phone apps out there, you might want to take a look at "Stellarium" here for your computer (the app version I'm told isn't as good) and it can be configured precisely to your own observation point and has lots of other great features to keep you occupied. Stellarium can also be configured with particular mounts (HEQ5/NEQ6) to provide an alternative Goto system.

Wishing you clearer skies soon and enjoy the forum

James

wow guys thanks for all the welcomes :grin:

Stellarium is a great program, i hightly rate it :grin:

i have been trying to have a peek at M31, and so far no joy ... but it might be me looking in the wrong place. With any luck tonight *should* be clear (you watch it rain now :rolleyes: ) so i'll try again :grin:

Hi Ivan. Welcome to SGL. The good news is we've got clear skies tonight! I use my iPhone EVERY time I go out. I use the star walk app. Just hold it up to the sky and it tells you what your looking at. I do astrophotography so this app helps loads! It tells me the magnitude of the objects I want to image. So its not cheating, just making more time to observe. Good luck with your scope and have a happy new year.

Adam

Archived