Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dodging rain

GrahamJ

I managed to drag my scope outside tonight, too wet to go on the lawn, had to make do with the patio. I has a look at Jupiter a bit low in the sky to be honest but it was ok with a 25m, tried a 6.5 and the view was not so good, lmage not too clear. Being a bit of a novice is it the case that if the seeing is not too good you are better off sticking to low magnifictions. I hadn,t orientated the scope correctly, just near enough. Any advice would be welcome.

You are right about not pushing the magnification too high if the seeing us not so good. Jupiter is quite a low contrast object and you tend to lose the detail if you push the magnification too high. Often x180 is fine, lower if the seeing is not so good.

I can't see detail of your scope but if it's a Newt then allowing it to cool properly will also improve the images, particularly at medium and high powers.

Cheers

Stu

Hi and welcome to the lounge!

Stu's advice is good. I find I lose detail on Jupiter if I go much over x150 most nights - the seeing isn't enough. Sometimes, less is more :) Observing with a well cooled scope really helps, as does waiting til your target is higher in the sky (that way you are looking through less of our atmosphere).

Cheers!

A lot of factors decide seeing. Atmospheric conditions and scope cooldown are two main ones.

Also, one should be aware that it's not going to look like in the space magazines. Observing is a much esoteric art. Something you gradually learn to do.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks for all the replies. I keep my scope, a Tal 100rs, inside the house, I just pop it out of the French windows, to be fair I have on hat it for a week and the weather has been Terrible. When I brought it inside it did condense badly, is this detrimental. I have a Tal1 reflector which has lived in the garden shed for the last 15 years or so, in temperatures down as low as 17 below, the mirrors still look fine, after years of neglect. Which would you say was the best environment to keep a telescope in. l would be grateful for your opinions.

I suspect that the TAL RS doesn't need that long to cool, my refractors aren't too bad, much better than the mak. That probably means that the seeing just wasn't up to much. 6.5mm ep gives around x153 which should be fine with better seeing and Jupiter higher in the sky (assuming the ep is decent quality of course)

Storing in the house is fine but you need to allow for cool down time. Storing in a secure shed or similar will be fine, the scope will be cooled better from the start, but make sure it is dry, a de-humidifier of some sort is well worth it just to be sure.

Stu

Hi Graham,

Jupiter is usually fuzzy for me when viewed at home at high magnification when it's low in the sky. Your 6.5mm should be no problem when Jupiter is higher in the sky if the quality of the eyepeice is okay and the seeing is okay as already mentioned above.

As you move up to higher magnifications, I'd recommend giving it a good few minutes. At higher magnification it can be fuzzy sometimes for a while but now and again can drift into focus briefly giving an amazing view that's worth waiting a minute or two for.

Have fun with looking at Jupiter. It can get quite addictive!

Luke

To answer the question about bringing a cold scope back into a warm house, the generally held opinion is that this is to be avoided if possible. Best bet is to leave it somewhere cool and dry and allow it to dry off naturally. The main thing is to make sure it is totally dry before packing it away to avoid any nasty mould developing.

I will confess that I do bring my scopes in as they are often dripping wet from dew anyway so it makes little difference. I leave them in an unheated part of the house overnight to dry off.

Cheers

Stu

Thanks for your replies, as usual very helpful. I was a bit worried about condensation, but as I said my reflector has been in the shed for years in some of the most extremes of temperature, I think that is where my refractor will end up, what with the weather it just hasn't been practical. Thanks again for your advice.

Archived