Hello

Burnzie

Hi,

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, and am now taking the plunge.

I have two main hobbies fishing & photography.

Fishing - I've spent many hundreds of night-fishing sessions looking up at the stars, tracing constellations, watching for "shooting stars" or even a satellite.

Photography - mainly landscape so unfortunately dont have anything long enough for effective astrophotography........................ yet !

I'm looking forward to finding out more about stargazing.

best regards

Burnzie

Hi Burnzie and welcome to SGL, I should certainly take your time and ease yourself into the hobby, taking in as much information as you can before adventuring towards the purchase of a scope, a far better solution is to commence with binoculars and using the free program Stellarium to find your way about the night sky, bins would be very useful on those night fishing trips. Extending into Astrophotography is a different ball game, you do not necessarily need deep pockets to make a start, but stepping into the dark art, as it is affectionately called, really does need a lot of research, as there are many pitfalls for the unwary, which could end up costing you money in the long run, on equipment bought in error HTH :icon_santa:

John.

Archived