Hello from Maine

hhsk

Hello,

I'm pretty sure I'm an expert Astronomer now since Ive just watched every episode of The Universe! So feel free to hit me up with any questions you might have. lol ;)

Ive never owned a telescope much less looked through one. I grew up in the city and rarely look up. My high school Astronomy teacher was good but old and dry. He pumped out mind numbing numbers and distances that quickly made me wonder what I was having for lunch that day.

Now one year away from my 40th birthday and outgrowing previous hobbies and looking for new ones I think picking up a telescope is my next step. Ive thought about it for the past 6yrs and came close to buying a Dob once but didnt.

I got into Hiking the mountains this past summer. I was able to drop 50lbs and do lots of thinking. This spring Im moving to a town thats half the distance to the Mtns and work if that tells you how much Ive enjoyed it.

What I would like to do is view the Sun from atop of these mtns.

Q. whats the best solar setup for a hiker on a $1500 budget?

Thank you,

HHSK

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forums.

There are telescopes called PSTs (Personal Solar Telescopes) from a brand called Coronado, when it comes to scopes, they are very small. Paired with a light tripod and they should make a resonably transportable solar observation tool, and fall well within your budget.

I have no first hand experience with them, but I'm sure others here have and can give you better advice. Good luck with your search for a good setup!

Hi HHSK and welcome to SGL, If your interest lies with Solar then the weight factor is not going to be a problem for you as unless you equate to a large aperture model, which are very expensive, then most are modest in terms of objective size. You have a very healthy budget which at present exchange rates comes to about £930 GBP which would purchase you a Coronado dedicated solar scope and suitable Alt/Az mount..The whole package being very transportable. You would need to have a look through some of your big American Astro outlets for the scopes availability and a mount to go with it :)

John.

Hello and welcome to SGL :smiley:. I agree with Carl that a PST with a small alt/az mount and tripod would be ideal for hiking, but you will also need a camera od some sort if you wish to image, and a DSLR would be ideal as you could use that to recorded the countryside as you travel as well. :smiley:

Archived