Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

15mm Ep Suggestions

Catweazel

Hi folks,

I want to get a 15mm EP to complete (sort of) my collection, so, I have 2 questions for you, if I may:

1. Which 15mm EP would you recommend; under £70 if possible please?

2. Would my 32mm GSO 2x Barlowed, give as good a view as most cheaper 15mm EPs, thus saving me the expense :undecided:

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance. CW :help:

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

15 mm Televue plossl - just awesome quality and value with the current discount.

Intersting. Hadn't realised there was a discount - I have an 11mm plossl shaped hole in my collection that could do with being filled...must remember to leave that greenwitch website page open every time Mrs MArki walks past!

I'm not a great fan of barlowing long focal length eyepieces for the eye relief issue that Naemeth mentions.

The 15mm Tele Vue plossl would be optically a very safe bet. I know this brand gets wheeled out a lot on the forum but they really are top notch. I've always found having them in your eyepiece case gives you the assurance that you will be seeing the best images your scope and the conditions allow.

I go with John on the barlowing big eyepieces issue all the way. I have tried this and found myself an uncomfortable distance from the telescope, didn't seem right. I know it depends on what you are using from the point of eyepieces though. I also just feel the short EP's just do it better.

BST EP's seem to get the members here with their thumbs up so who am I to argue. + 1 on the BST score.

Alan.

Or £20 extra for the TV plossl and it'll be a long time, if ever, 'til you consider changing it.

Cheers

Or at least until you get widefield fever.....hence why so many TV Plossl's end up on Buy'n'sell. Should be an eyepiece for life but ends up being an eyepiece for a month. Buy seondhand, that way it will only be a loan as you are guaranteed all your money back. :)

Or at least until you get widefield fever.....hence why so many TV Plossl's end up on Buy'n'sell. Should be an eyepiece for life but ends up being an eyepiece for a month. Buy seondhand, that way it will only be a loan as you are guaranteed all your money back. :)

I can't afford wide field fever! :grin:

So it's not really an issue.

Cheers

I can't afford wide field fever! :grin:

So it's not really an issue.

Cheers

In which case the TV Plossl is a lovely eyepiece. As is the BST Explorer. But you should be able to buy a secondhand TV Plossl for the same price as a new BST.

I tried our 32mm GSO with TAL Barlow last night on M42 and it wasn't as bad as I feared. IT could be cos I wear glasses that the ER didn't seem an issue, clearly for me better that way than the other ( which is why I was trying it rather than having bought a 15.)

View around the trapezium and extent of field was not as impressive as with 10mm Hyperion but OK.

(Good 'budget' 15mm with decent ER for specs wearers seems elusive, I am thinking of 18mm Excel-LX.)

A good secondhand buy is a Meade series 4000 15mm. It happens to be the only one of the line I kept from a few years ago.

It is a Japan made one, I'v tried the newer Chinese but didn't like it one bit.

I bought another recently for £20 to go in a binoviewer.

Other than that I'd with Televue

But you should be able to buy a secondhand TV Plossl for the same price as a new BST.

I know you should, but I don't seem to find them! :grin:

I'm not sure I understand the second hand EP market.

The good EPs seem to hold their value to well and for the extra (in this case) £20 you get a new one you know hasn't been dropped in a bucket !

Cheers

I know you should, but I don't seem to find them! :grin:

I'm not sure I understand the second hand EP market.

The good EPs seem to hold their value to well and for the extra (in this case) £20 you get a new one you know hasn't been dropped in a bucket !

Cheers

I've bought all my eyepieces used and have saved £100's over the new purchase price. Astronomers are generally honest folks I've found and will declare issues with kit when it's offered for sale. Generally used prices for decent condition items are around 60% of the new price although premium brands can command a little more.

The main issues with Tele Vue's is that you have to be very quick to get one used as they get snapped up so quickly. I advertised some Naglers a while back on UK Astro Buy & Sell and all were sold within an hour.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It seems as though BST and TV are the most recommended. Strangely, I am one of the few people who doesn't get on that well with BST's, I had one from Skies the Limit, and ended up returning it for a TMB Planetary, which I much prefer (sacrilege!)

Stardust's Meade 4000 suggestion is also worth some thought; I replaced my SW 10mm with a 2nd hand Meade 4000 9.7mm, and it was a vast improvement.

I agree about 2nd hand being a good bet, I have had no problem up to now buying used astro stuff; as John says, most astro folk seem genuine. Guess I will barlow the 32mm for now and see what comes up on the used market. Am getting zero clear skies here at the moment, and none predicted for a while, so no rush.Thanks again. CW :clouds1:

Yep, I've been using the meade 4000 9.7 from my etx90 with the 200p, big improvement on the stock 10 sw.

I've bought all my eyepieces used and have saved £100's over the new purchase price. Astronomers are generally honest folks I've found and will declare issues with kit when it's offered for sale. Generally used prices for decent condition items are around 60% of the new price although premium brands can command a little more.

The main issues with Tele Vue's is that you have to be very quick to get one used as they get snapped up so quickly. I advertised some Naglers a while back on UK Astro Buy & Sell and all were sold within an hour.

I can understand how you might save hundreds of pounds on top end eyepieces, but when it's only tens of pounds, however honest the seller, I'd rather have the new ep.

Cheers

....I can understand how you might save hundreds of pounds on top end eyepieces, but when it's only tens of pounds, however honest the seller, I'd rather have the new ep......

Thats fine :smiley:

We need folks to buy new to keep the used market going of course !

I think the value of buying used is that it gives you a chance to try something and recoup most if not all of your investment if you decide it's not for you or even buy two items with a similar spec and compare them before deciding. If you have already are sure about what you want then buying new has no risk attached to it :smiley:

Archived