Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I think i may have minor frostbite...

FarSide

What a night it was tonight - my tube was frozen solid and so was the laptop. So cold. The only thing keeping me alive was my Barbour coat. I really don't think the frost did my secondary mirror any good - i hope you guys fared better on such a bitter evening!

-21C here 2 days ago when i was out with my scope, i had to loosen and retighten the clutches on my mount because they were stuck because of the cold.

I also almost didn't get the cover off the scope, i guess the plastic must have shrunk in the cold.

Conditions were very variable because of fog from a river 50 meters away so i didn't stay out for long and didn't do any AP, just visual of the moon and jupiter.

I attempted to do some AP tonight but the secondary just froze over and the view through the camera was a blur. I had frost on my laptop screen too which didn't help. I eventually had to get an electric heater out there to warm the laptop and my hands up. And -21? You are a brave person.

Cold here last night too, but only down to 0• lost feeling in my toes after 1 1/4 hours so packed up then. Equipment fared better with no dew on the Mak.

Woken up to snow in the SE. We'll grind to a halt as usual and it'll be all over the news! *sigh*

Cold here last night too, but only down to 0• lost feeling in my toes after 1 1/4 hours so packed up then. Equipment fared better with no dew on the Mak.

Woken up to snow in the SE. We'll grind to a halt as usual and it'll be all over the news! *sigh*

I recommend Maplins battery powered heated innersoles - does the job a treat!

Kate

I honestly don't know how you got away with no dew on your scope last night. I had frost covering my tube, the inside of the tube and the secondary. The camera, mount and other electricals were fine, heat output i guess. The scope though just a block of ice.

I think you all wish you had -5c instead of 0-5c because you wouldn't have to fight that damn dew on your gear!

Cooling for DSLR's would be less needed too at that temperature.

Good clothes and -5c to -10c is nice winter weather :)

The coldest i have seen where i live is -34, i live around 100km north of Oslo so it's not really that cold, in som parts of Norway -50c isn't unusual in january. At that temperature you can take a bucket of very hot water and throw outside to instantly turn it into steam, pretty cool to watch actually!

At that temperature you can take a bucket of very hot water and throw outside to instantly turn it into steam, pretty cool to watch actually!

Turn to ice, perhaps? :)

I've seen it done with a cup of coffee just thrown into the air. It is quite impressive to see.

James

Got out again tonight, bitterly cold but i got some Jupiter imaging time in. We spent ages setting up due to a few technical faults but i got about 50k frames in before calling it a night. Still awfully cold though.

Archived