Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Laptop /netbook or desktop in your obs

skippyinspace

After taking my first image of jupiter all be it very poor, I was wondering what was the best option of an observatory PC is.

Currently Ive been taking an ACer netbook out, I have an unused desktop tower PC so was wondering about using that but leaving it permanently out there.

Noting it wont be in a warm room.

Thanks

Ian

I run XP Lite on a eMachines M250, the xp lite is a cropped / shrunk down version of windows, it boots to the desktop in no time can easily runmy capture ATIK software, phd,ascom eqmod,ascom pad, CDC, teamviewer plus surf the net for target infomation etc... all on 2 gig of ram without issues.. ;)

Do a google for' XP Lite or Windows 7 lite'.. easily installed :)

I use a laptop in the observatory and bring it indoors when I've finished. You may find that an observatory is too cold for a computer and it may fail, a warm room is different. My lappy is kept indoors in the warm and has a padded cover, as soon as I put it outside and turn it on it is able to keep itself warm. When I bring it in I can switch it back on immediately and it is OK.

I believe a lot of 'gamers' use cooling systems for their processors. I think there is even a system that uses liquid nitrogen in a system similar to a cars coolant system. So I don't think the cold will adversely effect a PC, but I imagine the damp & possible dust would. Not to mention the odd rodent crawling in there for the warmth! Don't laugh I've seen it.

I have to agree with a laptop though so it can be bought indoors afterwards. For security reasons if nothing else. Bad enough to loose your scope but to loose hours & hours of imaging would be heart breaking, and unlike the scope, irreplaceable.

I believe a lot of 'gamers' use cooling systems for their processors. I think there is even a system that uses liquid nitrogen in a system similar to a cars coolant system. So I don't think the cold will adversely effect a PC

Those coolant systems are designed to prevent the key components from overheating rather than keeping them refrigerated. The problems arise when trying to start a PC that is stone cold - I've had hard drives fail to operate when they've been very cold.

I use a Lenovo ideapad netbook and power adapter which I take out and bring back in (as I use it for lots of other things too). It seems powerful enough to run XP and all my astro software.

I have usb cables permanently in place running under the floor boards that have each end (table top and pier) protected in waterproof boxes. Similarly the mains power sockets are in waterproof ones. So it's just a matter of plugging in the power and usb cables, none of which are lying on the floor to trip over.

I also have cabling running back underground into the house, looking towards running imaging sessions from indoors, but I've not got around to trying it. The idea with that was to have a desktop indoors operable either locally or remotely from the observatory (via a long monitor cable and extended usb cables).

I share the concerns raised by others concerning using a desktop.

I wouldn't leave a laptop in an unheated obsy, but I would (and do) leave a PC in one. However, *this* PC is a small mini-ITX machine that consumes 20Watts, so I leave it powered up all the time. It also doesn't have any moving parts: no fan, no disk, no CD/DVD. The power supply is a sealed "brick" type external PSU.

All it has to do is run the astronomy equipment, which isn't terribly demanding so the low-power processor is easily up to the job.

The only concern I do have is that I occasionally have to sweep the insides for bugs - maybe the heat attracts them.

I wouldn't leave a laptop in an unheated obsy, but I would (and do) leave a PC in one. However, *this* PC is a small mini-ITX machine that consumes 20Watts, so I leave it powered up all the time. It also doesn't have any moving parts: no fan, no disk, no CD/DVD. The power supply is a sealed "brick" type external PSU.

All it has to do is run the astronomy equipment, which isn't terribly demanding so the low-power processor is easily up to the job.

The only concern I do have is that I occasionally have to sweep the insides for bugs - maybe the heat attracts them.

Sounds like a useful piece of kit - did you build it yourself or buy it? You say it has no disk, so what does it boot from - SSD or USB stick? Is it a Windows or Linux box?

I use a HP Mini 311 netbook. It's to a half decent resolution and runs W7 well, but is small enough with a decent enough battery life to take in and out. Speaking from experience of someone who's done it - don't leave a PC in the cold. It will die eventually due to dewing on the internal components.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Cold is not a problem for a PC, condensation is (this is what causes hard drives to fail). A PC that is left on 24/7 generates enough heat internally to prevent condensation forming. Ive had 2 PC's running in my observatory since 2007 with temperatures down to -19C with no problems.

I use an Asus EeePC - the small desktop type rather than the notebook. It's on 24/7/52 and seems to keep warm enough to keep any condensation away. Not sure about the creepy crawlies though!

I work in electroincs R&D.

Cold.. in theory isn't a problem but most household electronics is only rated over a VERY narrow temperature range.. 5~35C, the other year we had all sorts of shieks when temperatures dipped below -10C and kit stopped working.

IMHO if you put a laptop on a power supply and take it outdoors turned on, and leave it on until you're done (even leaving it outside all night) won't destry it. Leave it off under those conditions and you could be in trouble.

There are concerns over longevity of components/PCBs. You see if water gets inside (which it will, a bit) and freezes it will expand... and if it happens to do that to a chips package it can then break the seal allowing water to penetrate further... in the end you could get a total failure.

The professional solution is either to have all the electronics in sealed boxes, or to conformal coat the boards... given this is a real pain, then keep the PC from freezing.

IMHO if you want a PC in an obsy permanently, you want a well insulated warm room, and a electric radiator with a frost protect setting.

Derek

I'd also go for a laptop personally.

Not only do you not have to worry about the effect the cold/wet weather will have, but its also safer locking it away indoors.

Second that . I have run the same Windows 2003 server in the Obbo for the last 10 years. Basic power draw even when off keeps it warm enough when hibernated. I taped up the big holes and left small ones for the fan. While dusty no other major problems. Even the hibernating ladybirds don't go in it. I swapped the motherboard the other week since I shorted the south bridge when adding another USB card.

Taking machines in and out is asking for condensation. I think a p[ermanent machine is the safer option.

Mike

IMHO if you put a laptop on a power supply and take it outdoors turned on, and leave it on until you're done (even leaving it outside all night) won't destry it. Leave it off under those conditions and you could be in trouble.

Seconded... I've never worried about my laptop outside as when I finish up a session I load up Stellarium and within 30 seconds it's maxed out the CPU's and the internal temperature starts to rise, this nicely ensures it's definitely all dry and cuts the risk of condensation when I take it inside.

In my dim distance past I used to repair computers and the number that had evidence of water inside that the customers swore blind couldn't possibly be there... until I explained how condensation can form...

I'd personally go for a laptop too and lock it in the house... security being one of the issues. An opportunistic tea-leaf might not know what the kit is in your observatory but even the dimmest can make some money out of a stolen computer...

James

I use an old large desk computer in the obsy.

Basically they have lots of connectors and the facility to plug in extra cards.

If you want a serial port, parallel port, etc, you can do it.

The big box can absorb the changes needed.

You generally don't need the suger gigafast ultra memory and marvelous 3d graphics. So any old box will do - unless of course you are gaming in the shed.

If i have a break in and someone nicks my old PC, I'm not worried. It is worth next to nothing and while they are carrying that away, tghey aren't carrying something else.

On reliability, I have never had any cold issues with the PC.

By fitting temperature sensing fans to the CPU & board, it is actually reasonably quiet most nights.

The only cold problem I have experienced was actually with a laptop I left in there. It developed a stuck vertical line where a display driver wasn't working properly. After a good warm through, it recovers.

Hope this is useful to someone.

I got a mini ATX desktop, £30 from fleabay. I added a wireless N300 dongle and run a remote desktop through to the house. There is no monitor, etc attached, just the base unit. Once aligned and the target locked on, I can retire into the warmth. I have loads of spare drives, so do not care if it breaks. However, 1 year on, it still works fine.

Anyone who breaks in is welcome to the PC, I care not, so long as they don't smash the rest up in passing.

Gordon.

Hi there I use a laptop for running everything, and when i have finished building my obs I am having a wall permanent wall mounted lcd monitor and a docking station so all I have to do is click my laptop onto the dock and everything is connected. then when done off I go only one click.

I like doing all my photo editing in doors on the sofa.

Archived