Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Second time out but I think I need some warmer clothes, brrr

bomberbaz

Well went out for a half hour earlier as skies cleared nicely about 8 pm and managed to get me a view of the moon, only using a 20mm stock EP but it was good enough for a first time. Although I realise why you need a filter now as it was quite uncomfortable but the detail was amazing for a first time view, wish I could have stayed out longer.

Only managed ten mins though due to cold. Any tips on keeping warm other than wrapping up well. :grin: What I mean is good keeping warm clothes on a budget, dont care a monkies what it looks like, tips fellow SGL'ers

cheers, Steve

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Layers!! Amazing how many layers you can cram on when you know it's going to be cold out there. A hat is essential, so are thick socks (and several pairs of them), and I like fingerless gloves so hands stay a bit warmer but you can still use your fingers. Take a flask or thermal cup too. Glad you enjoyed your first light :smiley:

You don't necessarily need a filter for the Moon. Your eye will adjust. When you're going straight from full dark adaption to viewing the full Moon though it certainly isn't comfortable at first and if you don't like that then it's worth having a filter. It is also useful not being blind in one eye when you need to see in the dark again :)

As for keeping warm, I have some second-hand ski-wear that does the job very nicely, but everyone has their favourites.

James

Many thin layers are better than one big thick one. Also if you can get a cheap pair of ski socks and wear them over your normal socks helps to keep your feet warm. walking boots are normally warmer then shoes or trainers. Last thing i can think of is a brand that makes hats and gloves called 'thinsulate' i got mine from matalan and they were only a few quid. hope this helps

ian

If you can keep your extremities warm, that's half the battle. The blood returning from your hands and feet won't cool quite as much and your core temperature will stay up, enabling you to stay out for longer. Also layers.

Know what you mean! I had t-shirt, thick jumper, and squeezed into TWO fleeces. Gloves, hat, scarf - the scarf made it difficult to angle my head for my scope. If someone had pushed me I would have fallen over!! I must have looked fantastic!!! I managed to get good looks at the moon, Jupiter and its three moons and the plaides. I went out at 8 tonight it was clear and dry with clouds just blowing in. The wind picked up as I began viewing so the plaides were dancing around as was Jupiter. But at least I saw them for the first time in my new scope! Wow!! Now it's kicked up a storm....

Thanks all for the advice, `tbh it was my feet and legs that soon felt the cold creeping in but it was hard work with my heavy coat hood up. So the hats at matalan seem like a great idea, mrs always in there so early xmas present coming up, lol :grin:

i have a firesuit i get from my work its basically a double duvet boiler suit] but you can buy similar http://www.thetradeshop.co.uk/products/work-wear/boiler-suits/thermal-boilersuit-navy-coverall-with-product.html without the fire retadant in it . also decent layered socks , ski socks and these http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/samuel-eden-mens-go-merino-explorer-socks-p95922 are a good combo ,also a decent pair of walking boots and if you can isolate your feet from the ground using foam mat or similar it all helps along with 2 pair of cloves [cotton liner inners and decent wool outers [thinsulate are good but a bit bulky and a hat the stranger the better

The top half is easy to layer up, as are the feet, but most people often neglect the legs. Get yourself a baselayer from a hiking store, and if your budget stretches, some craghoppers kiwi winterlined trousers are absolutely amazing, and can be had for about £30. Windproof and fleece lined, combined with the baselayer, i've never been so toasty!

My observing clothes currently are: T-Shirt, then thick padded hoodie (helps with street lights too), Golf Jacket/Jumper, Ski Jacket then a wooly hat on top, enough for probably around an hour or 90 minutes in this weather, any more than that and I'd need another layer or two, although to be honest, I could wear something a lot warmer than a t-shirt! I never bother with anything for the legs, but when I went to Seething Observatory (in the middle of nowhere of course :)) I wish I did.

I don't know what you were standing on, grass/gravel/concrete but it helps to stand on some insulation material like an old piece of carpet or thick doormat. Also as mentioned a good woolly hat is the fashion accessory of choice for these cold nights.

As everyone else has said, layers. Layers trap air and air is the best insulator of all. A Thermal underlayer and a windproof top layer makes all the difference. Wear a decent hat - I have one that's made of a fleece material that has ear flaps that fasten under my chin and using that has made the biggest improvement to my overall warmth and comfort. You lose a lot of heat from an unprotected head!

Wear decent thick soled boots - Lidl do a warm snowboot at this time of year that will keep your feet warm and not break the bank. Wear thick walking socks too.

Finally, a pair of gloves. I use Lowe Alpine mitts that velcro back to reveal fingerless gloves.

Lots of good info again, I like the idea about an old carpet/doormat to keep you off the cold floors. I hve some good, warm hiking boots, plenty of thin layers i can build up and some windproof trousers.

So based upon most of the comments its gloves, new hat and some thermals. Thanks all

Steve

One of those Russian fur military hats are great for keeping the icy breeze of your ears and neck. Google "Ushanka" - Australia do a great range of fur boots - lots of layers - vest, sweatshirt, fishermans smock - and FLO do a powered overjacket that looks good for keeping warm. Then knee length climbing socks over thermal long johns with a layer or two of jogging bottoms will do the trick. If you're still cold pop a ski suit over the lot. I use woollen fingerless gloves to keep fingers free for focusing and handset.

But set up the scope so you can look through the eyepiece at a comfy height cos you'll feel like you're in a concrete romper suit and won't be able to move lol. :)

I'll whisper this diplomatically.

It's not that cold yet!

If you need to get dressed up like an Arctic explorer to go outside at 8pm at the moment then you'll need wiring to the mains to keep warm in a few weeks time!

On a more helpful note... :evil:

I was wearing an ex-army quilted thermal jacket at 4am this morning. Very warm, no need for anything other than normal clothes and lightweight walking boots. I don't know if these are sold in army surplus shops - I got mine from a relative along with thermal trousers which will boil me alive unless it's Norway.

I can second the tog2.4 thermal socks. Got mine from sports direct only a few pounds if I recall. Only problem is my boots were a bit right with them on.

If you can find a powerstretch thermal long John type thing, I've found them to be warmest personally. I found a Rab one last year in the sales and kept my legs not uncomfortable at -8 C.

I'll whisper this diplomatically.

It's not that cold yet!

hahaha, I know cold mate, I used to do a lot of sea fishing from beach and shore. Casting a five ounce lead into the teeth of a northwesterly gale teaches you all about cold, lol.

I still have some of the clothes somewhere, but smelling like a cross between a foisty old sock and a fish market doesn't appeal to me while I am gaving into the skies.

However there have been some great tips on here, some I know, others I didn't. Hnce the question. I have no doubt some other people have taken something from this thread too.

Remember people, the only stupid question you will have is the one you don't ask.

Unless of course your over 18 and still asking where babies come from :grin:

Clear skies all, Steve.....

I have probably spent more on warn clothing than on any single scope.

I went for Berghaus stuff, fleece, waterproof, boots (which are fabby - very comfy and keep feet toasty ). Feet are the big thing, if you can keep your feet warm the rest of you will feel warm so invest ins some serious socks. I also have a thick eiderdown like body warmer, insulated gloves, wooly scarf and an East German Ushanka for my bonce which is fabulous and warm.

With leggings on and combats below I stay quite warm. The boots costs a fortune but have been worth every penny and I cant praise them enough. The first vweekend I had them I went with some friends on a cross country hike through the New Forest. My friends were all kitted out in wellys and socks and said I was mad becauise the boots are made of something like a thick felt. They said my feet would get wet and cold and would blister like mad.

At the end of a freezing cold and wet day the only person with warm toasty feet and no blisters was me :)

A small tip for you though - when buying cold weather gear be aware that a lot of this stuff is sold on the basis that your hooving around, climbing cliffs etc so assumes you will generate a fair amount of body heat - you wont be doing any of that with astro and therein lies the rub - your mosly sitting still in the wind and exposed to the elements so you need a different approach. Lots of layers, thicker layers etc.

If I ever get the chance I am buying a MacMurdo jacket which is what they use in Antarctica.

when buying cold weather gear be aware that a lot of this stuff is sold on the basis that your hooving around, climbing cliffs etc so assumes you will generate a fair amount of body heat - you wont be doing any of that with astro and therein lies the rub - your mosly sitting still in the wind and exposed to the elements so you need a different approach.

And I don't believe a single one of you has mentioned a thermos full of hot tea or coffee. Come on guys thats serious slacking :grin:

Anyway, on the sunject of sitting, what does anyone use? Thats something else thats gotta go on my list at some point......

A small tip for you though - when buying cold weather gear be aware that a lot of this stuff is sold on the basis that your hooving around, climbing cliffs etc so assumes you will generate a fair amount of body heat - you wont be doing any of that with astro and therein lies the rub - your mosly sitting still in the wind and exposed to the elements so you need a different approach. Lots of layers, thicker layers etc.

In that case one should consider this power tank. It can be recharged using a hand crank and should generate enough heat to keep warm. Also, It has a side effect of building muscle in the arm, which should be useful for handling big scope and big mount. :D

http://www.maplin.co...mpaign=12P10-18

Archived