Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

After 4 months out of action, will soon be back out again!!!

After nearly 4 months out following eye surgery, I will be ready to get out soon. Hurrah!!!! Went to see the eye surgeon the other day and things are looking good. Have made an appointment at the opticians for tomorrow for an eye test and to have some glasses made. Looks like i'll need varifocals. Never having needed glasses before (except reading glasses) it will be strange. I've heard that varifocals take some getting used to, but i'll just be glad to see properly again. Really looking forward to using my new telescope as well. Having only used it once since I got it 4 months ago, I am absolutely bursting to have a real play under some dark, cold, winter skies. Yeahhhhh!!!

Good to hear you are getting back to full strength.

I wear varifocals for normal use. A good tip is to get the expensive ones; having a wider in focus area at the top is essential for driving and for general comfort.

I also wear varifocals and was advised to get the best lenses I could afford. They give better allround vies and the areas of focus are bigger.

I wear them all the time even for astro and have no problems. I also sometimes take them off for vieweing through EP as this is sometimes

more confortable depending on you vision. Mine are Zeiss lenses and I find them excellent.

Hope all goes well and you can get used to varifocals quickly. perservere with them and it gets to be automatic then and you dont really notice

Velvet

I too have varifocals, quite expensive "HD" ones with "wavefront correction".

However.

I had my optition order a pair of cheapo single correction for infinity glasses that I wear for astronomy, so I can use them at the eyepiece without getting variation across the field, also all the sky is in the same focus.

Just an idea

Been to Specsavers and took advantage of their 2 for 1 offer so getting the 2nd pair made up as prescription sunglasses. Both pairs are varifocals and are from their Taylor Made range which is Specsavers top range. Should be here in a week or so. Will have to get used to them then. The tolerances between the different portions of the lens are measured in millimeters and they will take some getting used to, but i'll get there. Blimey. With all that I have had to endure these past few years this should be a walk in the park.

• 2 weeks later...

Have had my new glasses for a few days now and while I haven't been out with the scope yet I am in the process of aclimatising to them.

On the face of it right now I am getting rather frustrated.

I opted for Varifocals and have discovered that there is a tiny "sweet spot" when reading or using the computer, so I have to physically have to move my head slightly to re-focus while reading. It is a tiny amount, but still a tiny amount and since I am new to wearing glasses I am finding it very frustrating, even after just a few days.

The opticians said for me to try them for a month to see how I got on, but even just after a few days it is beginning to drive me a bit nuts.

Perhaps I should have opted for standard reading glasses and then another pair for things further away?

It seems to me that Varifocals are trying to be all things in one, but in reality they can't do everything well. They seem like a compromise of sorts?

Or maybe there is a problem with the lenses on mine? My wife wears them and she finds them ok, although she has been wearing them for years. The "sweet spot" on mine seems very, very small. Maybe I just need to give them some more time?

Don't panic. Varifocals are a bit hard to get used to, even when I get a new pair it can take a week to feel comfortable with them. The head moving comes as standard. Personally, I prefere this to having to constantly change glasses. The only time I use reading glasses now Is for fine work, or occasionally if I have an unusual amount of reading to do, otherwise the varifocals stay where they are.

Hey Ken,

Keeping on going. As I have never worn glasses before let alone varifocals I have nothing to compare things with, so I don't really know at the moment. We will see. I'll maybe give them another week and then if there is no change then i'll go back to the opticians to see if there is a problem with the actual glasses or if it is just me.

Hi Malc,

Take them off and give your eyes a rest every so often, you really need to allow a month to fully adjust to them so don't push it too hard. Slow and steady rather than fast and furious.

Archived