Hi from South Lancashire

Comicbookguy75

Just wanted to say hi. Over the last couple of weeks I've used the information gained on this forum to buy a new Telescope. Got myself a Skymax 102 Synscan on an AZ Goto mount. I also picked up a PX35C Coolair camera to go with it to. I moved from Stockport to Newton-Le-Willows at the beginning of the year and the difference in the sky is amazing, having only ever really been able to see the moon in Stockport due to all of the light pollution, moving to Newton has been a revelation, nice and dark, with lovely views of the sky. So thought it was about time a got a Telescope.

Not had a lot of time to use it as since buying it the nights have been really cloudy.

I want to get into taking photos at some point in the future, hence the camera if I could only manage to focus the damn thing at least once, taking it back to the shop I bought it from tomorrow to see if they can offer any advice,......lol I've managed to get the goto mount linked up to a spare laptop I had (I work in IT so spare bits all over the place) and also linked up the camera to the laptop as well. Got Stellarium installed on the laptop too.

Now just need to wait for the weather to break.

Anywho, I'm really looking forward to learning as much as possible over the coming months and years.

Karl.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Karl and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting your new scope and on making the move to avoid the light pollution - you certainly won't regret making that decision! If imaging is a long term goal then I would recommend getting hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which you can view here. It is a comprehensive guide that will advise you on what kit to get and why you need it to take good consistent images that will best meet your expectations. It is modestly priced and will in fact save you money by helping you to avoid buying the wrong kit. Imaging doesn't have to be expensive and certainly imaging solar system objects (moon & planets) can be affordable via a simple webcam but its when the focus of the intended image is directed towards deep sky objects (DSO's) such as galaxies and nebulae that the need for an accurate (...read expensive) mount comes into play. These objects are very faint and so need longer exposures to capture sufficient data to construct an image hence the need for a mount that can help keep the imaging scope on target. The book is well written and will certainly keep you occupied when the clouds come in (even in your new location :grin:) and will also help you to form a realistic budget from the outset should your imaging desires take you down the DSO route.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Archived