SkyShed Pod and Various Telescopes

GDamianos

Hi guys,

New user here...

Have a Skywatcher Explorer 300p with a NEQ6 eq mount which I call the beast.

I haven't used it yet cos its so heavy to move and nowhere to store. I am really keen to get going !!

I'm interested in buying a SkyShed Pod but there's 3 sizes and not sure which could house my scope.

Any ideas?

Cheers

George

Welcome to SGL, George nice mount and scope there, i don't find my NEQ6 heavy, just move the Tripod and Mount together, add the weights over the North facing leg, then put the OTA on, my 250PDS in manageable not sure how much extra weight the 300 has, picking up the Tripod is a one hand/arm affair, move the EP holder so its between the legs, pull the mount back on one leg so the other 2 collapse onto the EP holder, arm over the top and lift with your hand just behind the dome that protects the Polar Scope, walk off with it,,,,bit of practice its easy peasy....

Hello George and welcome to SGL - no ideas on the sky shed pod size but no doubt someone will be along soon who does. :smiley:

A couple of links that may be handy:

http://www.skyshedpod.com/mar161.html - this one has schematics showing the dimensions of the different POD configurations.

http://www.skyshedpo...ryAlignment.zip - this contains a link to a downloadable program that enable you to assess if your scope will fit inside a POD.

PS: Welcome to SGL George :smile:

High George,

I'm a POD owner!

I've housed my previous SW 250 px and currently a SW 250 f4 Quattro in the POD, both on an EQ6Pro mount.

My earlier 250 px had a focal length of 1200mm and prior to purchasing the POD I had similar concerns over dimensions and the worry that it woudnt fit in the POD. I made good use of the application posted by r3i above. It's a really usefull little tool as you will see and having run through with various pier heights I was happy to purchase my POD.

I constructed a custom pier in the POD to get the best possible height and fit in the POD, I didn't have a lot of clearence with the dome and even positioning the pier dead centre in the POD it was all a bit on the tight side

I've not run the application with the 300p, but I would guess it's going to be a bit tight!...possibly TOO tight the extra 30cm on the OTA will I think be a close call. BUT please check this with the tool above.

My f4 with a focal length of 1000mm on the same mount & pier height gives more clearance and freedom to move about in the POD.

I've attached an image here of the f4 in the POD, It's unfortunately not that easy to get an idea of the space this takes up, but hopefully you will get some feeling for it.

post-693-0-36341200-1348943389_thumb.jpg

Steve How high is your Pier?

I am in the process of making an Observatory and currently have a 200p but I am going to buy the Quattro 250.

I calculated 80cm for the pier.

Thanks

Simon

Hi Simon.

My pier is exactly 80 cm tall!...but I have also have an Epsilon pier head system that's 20cml...giving a grand total of 1M.

I arrived at this measurement as I needed to be able to clear the POD walls for any low altitude objects whilst still giving me enough clearance within the POD with my earlier slightly longer focal length 250.

What sort of observatory are you building ?

post-693-0-21254100-1349117637_thumb.jpg

Archived