Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Oh, yes please.

FarSide

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH, If I could afford it, i'd happily settle for a CGE PRO 14inch HD edge at well under half the price, Ok, it's 6inch smaller on the scope, but the Celestron HD Edge optic's are a lot better, Meade are over priced, alway's have been.

cge_pro_edge_14.jpg

I sort of expected the reaction to be poor. To be honest, you could get really satisfactory results with a C14 or an RC - have a Paramount or a Mesu200, an obsy, the best CCD imaging gear money can buy, all of your observation accessories, and still be able to buy a car to lug it all around in. Madness.

i Have a Meade Schmidt Newtonian 10 inch F4, the Optic's are really good, However the focuser was a dreadful let down, it was a cheap and nasty all plastic setup, I would dare to say as bad as these cheap superstore type of telescope's you can buy, it so let the scope down, I soon upgraded the Focuser to a Crayford dual speed all metal focuser, that in itself was a nightmare. As for the LXD75 mount, it was well under spec for the Schmidt Newtonian 10 inch weight, the scope aloan was 30 lb, the total capasity of the LXD75 mount is also 30lb, the upper limit for good guiding was 20 lb max on the LXD75 mount, what where Meade thinking, lets build a Newtonian with good optic's a Naf focuser, on an under rated mount that struggled to do the Job. My Schmidt Newtonian 10 inch is now on an NEQ6 pro, and I'm now seeing the benifit's of the scope, The LXD75 has been demoted to a grab and go mount for visual work only. Not a total let down.

I've got a 10" LXD75 and I agree about the mount, but I've found the focuser on mine to be ok.

Rother Valley Optics do a motorised Crayford upgrade for about £540 I think. That's gonna take a few giros saving up for. Lol.

TBH, If I could afford it, i'd happily settle for a CGE PRO 14inch HD edge at well under half the price, Ok, it's 6inch smaller on the scope, but the Celestron HD Edge optic's are a lot better, Meade are over priced, alway's have been.

cge_pro_edge_14.jpg

I agree that is a beautiful scope for the money!

I've got a 10" LXD75 and I agree about the mount, but I've found the focuser on mine to be ok.

Rother Valley Optics do a motorised Crayford upgrade for about £540 I think. That's gonna take a few giros saving up for. Lol.

You can do it youself for far less, I wrote a how to blog some time ago.

http://stargazerslounge.com/blog/442/entry-889-how-to-upgrade-a-meade-sn10-focuser-to-a-crayford-duel-focuser/,

as for the focuser and motor, Telescope house do a Kit for £165, it's the exact same focuser I have, and I have since got the motor as well.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation-Crayford-Motor-Focuser-Deal.html

If you DIY it, you will save £375.

Below is a picture of mine to give you a good idea of what the finish focuser and motor looks like.

sml_gallery_7274_1280_44660.jpg

Archived