Hello from W Yorks.

m sutton

Hi all,

I got a telescope in June and a colleage at work suggested joining here to learn about how to use it and astronomy in general. I'm posting this before I've had a look round so am really a total noob.

The telescope I got is a Bresser Messier 150N, 1200mm, f8 with a 25mm wide angle lens. I have very little idea what any of that means and got the scope because I'd read that Patrick Moore said it was good and had a good tripod.

So far I've only had one decent clear night to try it out, but was quite pleased to manage to 'star-hop' to the Wild Duck nebula by looking through the spotting scope then running into the house to compare the view to Starry Night - I've since bought a sky atlas to try and reduce my star-miles! :) . I also caught Jupiter rising, seeing two bands and the four Galilean moons. A first night that I found very rewarding - here's hoping for a very clear winter - brrrrrr.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome. The 150 is the diameter of the mirror in mm, 1200 mm is the focal length, 1200/150=f8 the focal ratio, and 1200/25=48 so with the 25mm eyepiece you are getting 48x magnification. I hope that helps. Anyway enjoy it!

Thanks for the warm welcome! :grin:

Tim, yes it looks clear now (high altitude haze notwithstanding) I'm going to formulate a plan then get out the back door!

Duke, thanks for that - with the eyepiece sticky it leads me to believe I need to get a 6mm lens to compliment the wide angle and give me 200x magnification?

(actually an exiled Lancastrian heehee)

Martin.

Archived