Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue

Hex

I think alot depends on just how much FoV you want Andy, like you say PSP will be the place to help you make your mind up.

BTW I have the 17.3 Delos and its rapidly becoming my favourite EP. :)

Wide FoV that is sharp right across is only part of the performance story with Tele Vue in my opinion. It's the feature that they are best known for but their light transmission despite many lens elements, glare and light scatter control and build quality are all top class too.

For me the 100% quality control checks applied to each eyepiece, products designed by astronomers, for astronomers plus the fact that it is a family company that you can contact directly if needed count for a lot too. Try phoning Mr Explore Scientific and you will get nowhere but phone Tele Vue and there is a reasonable chance that you will speak to Al or David Nagler :smiley:

Whether the above is worth the price tag is a personal decision of course. For me the answer is "yes" but that won't be the answer for everybody. Try before you buy, if you can.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wide FoV that is sharp right across is only part of the performance story with Tele Vue in my opinion. It's the feature that they are best known for but their light transmission despite many lens elements, glare and light scatter control and build quality are all top class too.

For me the 100% quality control checks applied to each eyepiece, products designed by astronomers, for astronomers plus the fact that it is a family company that you can contact directly if needed count for a lot too. Try phoning Mr Explore Scientific and you will get nowhere but phone Tele Vue and there is a reasonable chance that you will speak to Al or David Nagler :smiley:

Whether the above is worth the price tag is a personal decision of course. For me the answer is "yes" but that won't be the answer for everybody. Try before you buy, if you can.

I'd second all that in addition to what I've said above. TV also deserve credit for innovation in design and personally I like to reward that where I can.

I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest that if you're happy with your current eyepieces then stick with what you've got.

I've had a few Televue eyepieces (Plossls, Nagler, Ethos) and they've all been very good but not beyond criticism. I changed a 13mm Nagler for a 12mm Celestron Xcel LX and never looked back. The Nagler had a wider field of view and was incrementally better when the eye positioning was just right, but the Xcel is far more comfortable and less fussy to use.

Took me a while to find my perfect eyepiece set but now I've found it I'm not interested in the next new thing that comes out. If you've got the right eyepieces for yourself and your scope then why change?

If you don't like following the trend, you can try some Pentax XWs or Vixen LVWs. The 20mm eye relief makes them one of the most comfortable eyepiece to use with glasses. The 22 LVW must be Vixen's best kept secret.

My 20mm Nagler is my favourite EP... for now at least :D It's given me beautiful views in all of my scopes (admittedly f10).

Btw, reports from the "other side" claim they've been put through to Scot Roberts (founder) when investigating problem EPs. Not discovered a fault with any of mine so far. Haven't tried to dunk any of them yet though :eek:

...Btw, reports from the "other side" claim they've been put through to Scot Roberts (founder) when investigating problem EPs. Not discovered a fault with any of mine so far. Haven't tried to dunk any of them yet though :eek:

Fair enough :smiley:

I wonder who designed the optical system in the ES 100's ? - my theory is that it's Paul Dellachaiae of Tele Vue :wink:

Fair enough :smiley:

I wonder who designed the optical system in the ES 100's ? - my theory is that it's Paul Dellachaiae of Tele Vue :wink:

It's a good question. The up coming 25mm ES100, and the 9mm ES120 have no equivalent in the TV line, so they must have some clever engineers in JOC as well. It seems like after copying a few times, they will eventually learn to design their own.

It's a good question. The up coming 25mm ES100, and the 9mm ES120 have no equivalent in the TV line, so they must have some clever engineers in JOC as well. It seems like after copying a few times, they will eventually learn to design their own.

Tele Vue have said that they won't have a 25mm 100 in the range because they would have to compromise the design / performance to some extent to achieve it and they are not prepared to do that.

Either ES know something that TV don't or they figure that the compromises are acceptable / won't be noticed by the likely customers for this eyepiece.

@ Hex: I currently don't have a 25mm. I find the 20mm Nagler gets a lot of use. More than the 31mm Nagler, despite the latters fearsome reputation.

Gentlemen, if someone wishes to criticise Televue eyepieces then that is his right. As to if he is right or wrong is of no importance we know what we like.

Yes TV have been design leading, yes they are out there in front in all aspects of QA and yes they are about the most expensive. Because of this they will always be copied but the original is rarely improved.

At the end of it he was probabley just trying to wind us all up, looks as if he had some success!

Alan.

I like TV and use nothing else. The 26 Nagler is a peach in anything from the big Dob to the smallest refractor. I certainly won't be wound up by the bashers because I do like these EPs. I agree on the transmission. When I first looked through a 13 Ethos I just felt there couldn't be any glass in the eyepiece at all! But I do love the FOV and find small field EPs unsatisfying on deep sky as a result.

Olly

I only use Televue eyepieces as well. The moment I left university and my job gave me the resources to buy them, I switched and never looked back.

I also own the Nagler 3-6mm zoom as one of my travel EPs as it cuts down the amount of equipment I need to carry. Performance wise (and we tested against a number of fixed focal length EPs months ago at the BSIA) it matched any other EP we threw at it. My only criticism is that when you are use to Nagler type fields of view, the zoom with only 50o can feel a little claustrophobic.

Actually going to meet David Nagler this evening so if anyone has any questions they would like to ask (not including "can I have a life time discount?" - That one is mine! :grin: ) let me know.

Clear skies,

Shane

Top three TV's, First I have 10 Tv's 10 Meades a Pentax and an Antares 5-8 zoom. I intend to add to the TV's and get rid of the Meades

My top 3 TV's.. 1- 20mm Nagler 2- 17mm Ethos 3- 24mm Panoptic. I can't speak for what I do not yet have.

Why, I own them!

alan

Gentlemen, if someone wishes to criticise Televue eyepieces then that is his right...

At the end of it he was probabley just trying to wind us all up, looks as if he had some success!

Alan.

Would that someone be me then? I had no idea you TV guys were so sensitive!

I think I said that TV eyepieces are very good. They're not perfect because no eyepiece is. Design compromises are a fact of life and I would argue that if the original poster has a set of EPs he's happy with then he should think hard before making a serious investment for something which, while it may be very good within its design parameters, might not necessarily be right for him. Horses for courses and all that.

Hex: try one, see if you like it :smiley: !

Archived