Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue

Hex

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and therein is the problem of great aperture - you really end up chasing smaller fainter stuff at higher powers and wishing you had that bit more aperture to see those even fainter ones! you'd probably end up with a 31mm Nagler in the focuser all the time. at 160x approx and half a degree field it would be pretty good on many objects I think.

One other thing that struck me in the tall 40", is that the finder scope is at the bottom. I suppose running up and down the ladder between viewing and searching keeps you fit :D

Also: at 60" (1500mm aperture, give or take), you get a 10mm exit pupil at 150x. You will need 210x to get 7mm exit pupil, and 300x for 5mm. Just two EPs will do, one for 210x, and one for 300x nine times out of ten.

One other thing that struck me in the tall 40", is that the finder scope is at the bottom. I suppose running up and down the ladder between viewing and searching keeps you fit :D

Also: at 60" (1500mm aperture, give or take), you get a 10mm exit pupil at 150x. You will need 210x to get 7mm exit pupil, and 300x for 5mm. Just two EPs will do, one for 210x, and one for 300x nine times out of ten.

When you have scopes that big I imagine you don't need a finder scope. The entire universe probably fits into the field of view.

James

When you have scopes that big I imagine you don't need a finder scope. The entire universe probably fits into the field of view.

James

Au contraire, your max FOV, in a 40" scope (approximately 1000mm) at 7mm exit pupil (141x ) assuming an Ethos-like EP is just 0.7 deg. With a Nagler it boils down to 0.58 deg, and at 5mm exit pupil these figures become 0.5 deg and 0.41deg. Not that bad, but given the lack of goto on the scope, you really need the finder

Now that you mentioned height, even if the monster dob is driven, the three stories high ladder is not, so he would still have to climb up and down to move the ladder to keep up with the dob. Let's hope there's no wind blowing where he lives

Just to remind everyone that this thread started with a member wondering if he should start out on the Televue Road to an empty pocket. Not bad for all of us, it only took 2 days to get silly. I wonder following our tip top advice if he is going to buy a Tele-Vue eyepiece.

Something else has just occured to me. What would the Sky at Night be like done by the Top Gear team? Sounds like a good post!

Alan.

What would the Sky at Night be like done by the Top Gear team? Sounds like a good post!

"First trip to the moon for forty years, in a Lambhorgini Gallardo. How hard can it be?"

To be piloted by Alien Stig, obviously.

James

Just to remind everyone that this thread started with a member wondering if he should start out on the Televue Road to an empty pocket. Not bad for all of us, it only took 2 days to get silly. I wonder following our tip top advice if he is going to buy a Tele-Vue eyepiece.

Mmmmm, I think so, I do like nice quality gear and truth be told 50% of my current selection aren't used very much and wouldn't be missed if

I consolidated, aiming for quality over quantity. Bearing in mind my scope is a 4 inch slowish refractor, and the target's such an instrument is capable/suitable of, my current thinking is this... 3 TeleVues' a 20mm Panoptic, two Radion's, a 6mm and a 14mm. As ever your opinions are most welcome.

PSent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

To the best of my knowledge the panopics are 19mm ans 24mm then 27mm, I have the 24mm and it is without doubt one of the best eyepieces ever made. It is a bit like Dark Side of the Moon, if you haven't got it you haven't got a record collection, dare I suggest?

Raidans, I have two but not the two you mention. Both of mine are top draw and I will keep them, they are excellent for planets and bags of eyerelief. I have the 10mm and 4mm. I have used the 14mm Radian once in my LX which was again excellent from memory. They to me are as good as anything for planet work and are not tight like Ortho's at low F/L, even my 4mm has 20mm of eyerelief.

Hope this is some use.

alan.

To the best of my knowledge the panopics are 19mm ans 24mm then 27mm, I have the 24mm and it is without doubt one of the best eyepieces ever made. It is a bit like Dark Side of the Moon, if you haven't got it you haven't got a record collection, dare I suggest?

Showing your age a bit there, but brilliant analogy! The 24mm Panoptic was one of only 2 eyepieces I ever regretted selling ... The other was a University Optics 32mm MK80, which i.m.o.h was nearly the equal of the Nagler 31mm in longer focal length scopes and a much better performer in daylight.

Archived