Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Terminagler Incoming!!

Damo636

I picked up one of these yesterday for a great price, bit of an impulse buy really as I didn't really need it, but couldn't resist the temptation to have a shootout with my 30mm 82* ES :rolleyes: The 30mm ES is a stonking piece of kit and the more I use it the more it impresses me. Having never used the 31 Nagler I want to compare the two side by side to see just how close in performance the young pretender is to the undisputed champion of the widefield world! I suspect it will be a very, very close fight! I don't want to heap too much pressure on these guys, but the loser will be rehomed :evil:. May the best man win :smiley:

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It will be an interesting comparison Damo - I look forward to reading all about it :smiley:

Initial impressions of the big Nagler can be off putting for some - familiarity breeds respect though, I've found :grin:

I picked up one of these yesterday for a great price, bit of an impulse buy really as I didn't really need it, but couldn't resist the temptation to have a shootout with my 30mm 82* ES :rolleyes: The 30mm ES is a stonking piece of kit and the more I use it the more it impresses me. Having never used the 31 Nagler I want to compare the two side by side to see just how close in performance the young pretender is to the undisputed champion of the widefield world! I suspect it will be a very, very close fight! I don't want to heap too much pressure on these guys, but the loser will be rehomed :evil:. May the best man win :smiley:

You might aswell start advertising the ES now , ;-)

Sent from my AWSOME iPhone using Tapatalk

I look forward to reading it too. One of my observing buddies has the ES 30mm but we are yet to get round to a shoot out. I'm yet too even look through her ES. she has looked through my Nagler but a long time ago. It prompted her to get the ES :evil6:

I'm a bad influence me thinks :evil:

While you are comparing the N31 and ES30 you might throw your Ethos 21 into the mix - there is always a lot of debate over whether the N31 and the E21 are worth having in the eyepiece case.

I'd be interested in your views on that one too :smiley:

Sorry for the off topic, but any of you having issues threading 2" filters onto your ES eyepieces?

My Celestron and Orion filters will not thread on but my Baader filter now threads on somewhat tightly after working on the threads of my new ES 30mm.

While you are comparing the N31 and ES30 you might throw your Ethos 21 into the mix - there is always a lot of debate over whether the N31 and the E21 are worth having in the eyepiece case.

Thats interesting John, when I saw Damo's updated sig earlier I thought that the Ethos 13mm, 21mm and Nagler 31mm complemented each other really well?

Thats interesting John, when I saw Damo's updated sig earlier I thought that the Ethos 13mm, 21mm and Nagler 31mm complemented each other really well?

BTW the reason I say that is I'm moving up to 16" soon so will probably look at the 31mm Nagler and ES30mm myself so I'm in a similar position to Damo, its a case of bridging the gap between 13mm Ethos and 31/30mm EP's...

BTW the reason I say that is I'm moving up to 16" soon so will probably look at the 31mm Nagler and ES30mm myself so I'm in a similar position to Damo, its a case of bridging the gap between 13mm Ethos and 31/30mm EP's...

My bridge between my 13mm Ethos and 31mm Nagler is the 20mm Nagler. It fits the bill quite nicely there :smiley:

...i'd be brave and say you only need 2 ep's 13mm and 21mm ethos..(and a powermate x2) that's it i've said it at last,didn't want to but that's just my 2p :hiding::argue:

...i'd be brave and say you only need 2 ep's 13mm and 21mm ethos..(and a powermate x2) that's it i've said it at last,didn't want to but that's just my 2p :hiding::argue:

Well done that man! :grin:

I thought I had my perfect set of EP's - Nagler 26mm, 13mm Ethos and XW 10 and 7mm but buying another scope seems to of chucked a spanner in the works :icon_puke_r::rolleyes:

Will throw it in gladly John. I have only had the chance to briefly compare the 21E with the 30ES on one occasion but I do believe there is a case for owning both. On paper the difference in tfov doesn't sound like much, but I did notice it when switching from one to the other. The 30/31mm eyepiece will obviously not see anywhere near the amount of use the 21E will, but I do believe there will be occasions where I might be glad of that little bit of extra fov. The 31 Nagler should be with me by tomorrow so will be keeping my fingers crossed for a couple of clear nights :smiley:

Sorry for the off topic, but any of you having issues threading 2" filters onto your ES eyepieces?

My Celestron and Orion filters will not thread on but my Baader filter now threads on somewhat tightly after working on the threads of my new ES 30mm.

I tried my Skywatcher OIII on the ES last night and managed approx 1/2 a turn until it jammed tight. It spins freely onto all my other eps but its a definite no go on the ES :huh:

Its a bit of a PITA!, as one of my reasons for purchasing this ep was to view the Veil with as much widefield splendor as possible :mad: I tried forcing it today but the threads on the filter started to strip so in the end I left well enough alone.

I've read about the issue with the filter threads being poorly cut on the ES 30mm before. Seems it's not an isolated incident.

On the number of eyepieces needed, having a "lean" set is attractive but I've found that you do need some finer variations in the high power area. You never quite know what the seeing conditions will stand and sometimes just a mm or two in eyepiece focal length hits the sweet spot balancing sharpness with a nice image scale :smiley:

You may well be right.

The only problem is the weight of the 21mm Ethos Powermate combo. :eek:

The Terminagler Powermate combo (Panzerfaust) is heavy enough. My little 10" Dob just cannot balance it. :(

..just think of that combo in your 20" steve :headbang:

I have the 31 nagler and 21 ethos - a great pair in that range - starting with the 31 and moving down to 21 is just perfection. No problem with placing my lumicon, astronomick or orion filters. I have tried the ES (and have the 14). Let each form their own opinion but I do find that these televues present a darker background and less light dispersion from objects. Wonder if others notice the same. Am courios to your perspective. All great EPs. allen g

The big guy has arrived!!

First impressions, NICE :grin:

post-11833-0-18832600-1346341383_thumb.j

They have just been through the weigh in, & the Nagler, although bigger, is a little lighter!

post-11833-0-34081300-1346340573_thumb.j

post-11833-0-00441300-1346340693_thumb.j

I think the Nagler just about edges it ergonomically, it just seems to feel a bit better to handle....

post-11833-0-22072500-1346340911_thumb.j

post-11833-0-84582600-1346340997_thumb.j

So, that's all for now folks! Fingers crossed for some clear skies later :smiley:

Archived