Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Terminagler Incoming!!

Damo636

Only eye relief keeps me away from the Ethos range. All designs are a compromise, at some point in time something better than an ethos will emerge.I shudder to think whatthey might cost

Too little eyerelief and such a wide field gives me eyestrain :( The Ethos are optically fabulous though, anything that topped that would have to be spectacular!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too little eyerelief and such a wide field gives me eyestrain :( The Ethos are optically fabulous though, anything that topped that would have to be spectacular!

The eye relief I can manage that huge FoV is a pain when sketching, problem is if I sold the Ethos I'd need 2 EP's to replace it!

Are any of the ES ranges known to be poor for fast scopes compared to TVs? Or are they just a bit of an unknown quantity?

James

From the reports I've read the ES eyepieces are very good in fast scopes but not quite as good as the Tele Vue equivalents in terms of edge sharpness. I'm hoping Damo's report will either confirm or overturn this view.

I used a Meade Series 5000 14mm UWA, which I am told has a very similar performance (and maybe even design) as the ES14 82 deg. I used it in Olly's 20" F/4.1 and the performance was very good. The edge sharpness was similar to (if perhaps a shade less than) that of the 17mm T4. The 14mm UWA showed a bit less pincushion distortion, however. I replaced it with the 12T4 only due to eye relief. The performace of the two in my 80mm F/6 was very similar.

Just to update guys, I still haven't had an opportunity the compare the two ep's under the stars. I am itching to give the big Nagler a run out but the weather has other ideas :embarrassed:

It's always the way though isn't it.. still, when the weather does co-operate you'll have plenty of time under the dark skies!

any luck yet? this is killing me Damo!

No luck yet bud & its killing me too :clouds1::clouds2: Just had a look at the weather & don't want to jinx it, but tomorrow is looking promising. I agree with John though, whenever the cloud finally does clear, it'll take a few sessions to reach any firm conclusions.

No luck yet bud & its killing me too :clouds1::clouds2: Just had a look at the weather & don't want to jinx it, but tomorrow is looking promising. I agree with John though, whenever the cloud finally does clear, it'll take a few sessions to reach any firm conclusions.

Can you do a "blind test", so someone else puts the EPs in the focuser so you don't actually know which EP is which until the end?

Archived