SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Terminagler Incoming!!

Damo636

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BTW the reason I say that is I'm moving up to 16" soon so will probably look at the 31mm Nagler and ES30mm myself so I'm in a similar position to Damo, its a case of bridging the gap between 13mm Ethos and 31/30mm EP's...

Hi Mike

I have a 16" F4.5 and have the 30mm ES 82* (old style) and the ES 14mm 82*. I am awaiting delivery of the ES 20mm 100* from the US any day now and hope this is my filler and main DSO EP at x90. Have the GSO 2x ED barlow and will try the 20mm in it to get x180, if the focusser will take it!

Damo, good luck with the test! You must be skulking out at night with that case full of expensive EPs under your jumper, in case your good wife spots it and demands a sportscar to even things up!

Good luck

Barry

I have no frame of reference, my 20t5 being the next closest FL, so take this as an early untest :eek:

It gulped down the Double Cluster in my 8SE (which took the weight better than I expected) and the stars were points across the majority of the FOV and oh my there were so many of them even with my LP. In the 20t5 the clusters are each sitting sort of on the edge of FOV. I noticed what looked like some nebulosity/blurriness in the area of NGC 869 which I couldn't initially explain. There looked like a small amount of field curvature but this was easily remedied by focussing on a star between centre and edge. Then I noticed something that I hadn't seen before (but I've only used the C8 a couple of sessions) which looked like tails pointing toward the field stop on the top and bottom edges of brighter stars at the edge - and I mean the last few degrees of the view. When I unfocused the star slightly it formed something akin to a diamond ring. Is this perhaps coma that I'm seeing with my C8? Eye relief was similar to the other ES82s if not slightly longer, but I'm used to them at this point so it wasn't a problem.

Overall the view was very pleasing, and I look forward to my next journey with it. A couple of user issues.... both myself and my eyes were very tired, but kid with a new toy and all that :grin: how often do we get a decent clear night so close to a delivery!?

curious about the nebulosity, I got up to look at the sharp end and it was dewing up...this is the curse of the SCT but we also have a big pond in our yard and the best vantage point is right next to it, coupled to that it was fairly humid.

Having packed up and sat out with the bins for a while I went in and tidied up (lights on now) and when putting my EPs away I noticed a nice big smudge on the lowest lens of the barrel. It is really close to the end of the barrel and I must have touched inadvertently when fumbling with it for the first time. I'll have to wipe it (wonder fluid?) and try again, but that might go some way to explaining the blurriness :embarrassed:

Oh and I mustn't forget darkness. The LP here isn't great, so that'll be another test.

So...far from ideal with tiredness, dew and smudge, but I'm keen to try again... if the weather behaves maybe tonight :eek:

Is Damo keeping us in suspense? :eek::D

I started setting up the C11 last night, but shortly after dark my neighbours teenagers illuminated the neighbourhood with disco lighting and the other side lit a bonfire! Arrrrgggghhhh! I got to polar aligning before the waft of weed made it over the fence... they carried on until 2 before there was an abrupt cessation.

I did get to see the Coathanger through the finder scope but no 30mm goodness :( Besides, no Terminagler to compare it with :D

Is Damo keeping us in suspense? :eek::D.....

I reckon he is being very sensible. I posted earlier that it's very dangerous to form conclusions about a piece of kit on the basis of just a single session, especially when the differences are likely to be pretty subtle, as they often are when you compare premium kit. You really need to use things a number of times, side by side and under varying conditions to get a true feel for how they compare.

I've jumped to the wrong conclusions a few times in the past and made hasty decisions, only to regret them later :rolleyes2:

I reckon he is being very sensible. I posted earlier that it's very dangerous to form conclusions about a piece of kit on the basis of just a single session, especially when the differences are likely to be pretty subtle, as they often are when you compare premium kit. You really need to use things a number of times, side by side and under varying conditions to get a true feel for how they compare.

I've jumped to the wrong conclusions a few times in the past and made hasty decisions, only to regret them later :rolleyes2:

.....me too John..ask my first wife :lol:

Just a quick update guys. I have now had a few sessions with these ep's, but only one that was of any real value. Last night was spectacular, right up until the point the moon reared its head and spoiled the party just a little. I would like to get a few more sessions under my belt before reaching any solid conclusions, as from night to night, I have found myself questioning my notes from the previous session. Unfortunately the forecast doesn't look good for the next few days, but I will get back to this, eventually :rolleyes:

Archived