SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Terminagler Incoming!!

Damo636

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last night turned out to be a bit of a let down. Although clear for most of the day, conditions deteriorated as the evening wore on. The full moon and a thin layer of high level wispy cloud completely washed out the sky by 11pm. A bit of a let down really but keeping fingers crossed for the weekend :-)

Went out last night with some observing buddies, one of which has the ES 30mm. Alas I couldn't take my Dob as I had a van full of garbage and no room for it. But I did take my eyepiece case with my 31mm T5 inside. So although no fast Dob to compare them in, a shoot out was on the cards, test scope would be my buddies TAL 100.

First target would be the double cluster to compare FOV. The ES showed both clusters very easily in a massive FOV that actually kinda shocked me (forgot how much sky a scope like this can show), next the Nagler..........hmm! Maybe not. Not enough in focus on the TAL, Doh! :BangHead:

Maybe next time ;)

I've just ordered an ES 82 30mm from the US. Keeping my fingers crossed that the comparison doesn't make me doubt the purchase. It was, however, only £157 as it will be delivered to a friend in the US. Just out of interest, does the ES have a soft rubber eye cup? It looks like it does on the photo. I tried a Nirvana recently and it didn't have this and it

I do intend having a go at the SN Michael but the unpredictable weather is doing my head in!! I have set up in advance 3 times this week in clear conditions only for the clouds to roll in when it starts to gets dark. This hobby really does require one having the patience of a saint!

The 30 ES does have the rubber eyecup Mark.

I've not used an ES30 82 but in a slow SCT I'm sure it makes more sense than a Nagler 31 in value for money terms. It's usually at F/5 and faster that the Tele Vue eyepieces just begin to pull ahead a little on edge sharpness.

Just to complete that: I tried a Nirvana recently and It didn't have the soft eye cup and I wasn't sure about the comfort.

I have directly compared a Nirvana 28mm to a Nagler 31mm and optically it was pretty close but I agree that the wide eye cup (face cup ?!!) of the Nirvana could be off-putting. The Nagler 31 and ES 30 use the "volcano top" design which lifts the eye lens towards the eye and I find that easier to use. Possibly because I have a largish nose that gets in the way when I use the Nirvana !

We all await Damo's report with eager interest :smiley:

I've not used an ES30 82 but in a slow SCT I'm sure it makes more sense than a Nagler 31 in value for money terms. It's usually at F/5 and faster that the Tele Vue eyepieces just begin to pull ahead a little on edge sharpness.

This is why I was first gunning for the ES, but then I could get a Nagler at a good price, so jumped on it. I do like the views it gives through the F/6 frac as well, and allows me to upgrade to an F/5 dob with no worries.

In a fit of cloud rage/cabin fever last weekend, I ordered the ES (see pic, next to 20T5 and ES82-11) and by some feat of international postal efficiency, it arrived today. Can't wait to give it a go, but with the beastly weight it'll be limited to my C11, which itself is weekends and holidays only (as I have to build/tear down every session).... life is never simple :D

Anyhow, I'd be interesting to know how much I'm missing out compared with the Terminagler, but at £170 shipped (and a stroke of luck) it'd have to be a lot :cool:

....Anyhow, I'd be interesting to know how much I'm missing out compared with the Terminagler, but at £170 shipped (and a stroke of luck) it'd have to be a lot .....

If there is a difference it won't be a big one - they never are when you compare good quality stuff :smiley:

It does raise an interesting question that comes up quite a lot - how do you place a monetary value on small margins of increased performance ?

I guess thats one each individual has to decide :smiley:

If there is a difference it won't be a big one - they never are when you compare good quality stuff :smiley:

It does raise an interesting question that comes up quite a lot - how do you place a monetary value on small margins of increased performance ?

I guess thats one each individual has to decide :smiley:

Some people never buy an Ethos, that's placing a value on performance :). If you're going to spend a lot on a full set of Ethos (Ethoi? Ethoses?), you probably will never have to buy another eyepiece again. If that meant 20 years of no more eyepieces, that is a serious saving, while it is a huge outlay (£7,000 ish?), over 20 years that is £350 per year, or about £1 a day.... actually, that's still rather expensive.

..... over 20 years that is £350 per year, or about £1 a day.... actually, that's still rather expensive.....

When you think about how many clear nights we get, it does seem expensive, doesn't it :rolleyes2:

It's a tough tough call. I deal with diminishing returns almost every day and sometimes that extra little margin pays off handsomely, which leads me to a nothing ventured nothing gained sense of experimental optimism. And then there's the fuzzy feeling of knowing you have the best. For me though, it came down to what else I could justify if I didn't blow all the cash on one EP. I like options. I'm thinking Delos next :D (there is madness in my method)

These 2 beasts should certainly be interesting :cool:

When you think about how many clear nights we get, it does seem expensive, doesn't it :rolleyes2:

Indeed, if you go out twice a month, that's £14 per night out. If you have to travel say 50 miles, that's another £10? Starts getting really expensive really quickly. That's not even imaging!

Indeed, if you go out twice a month, that's £14 per night out. If you have to travel say 50 miles, that's another £10? Starts getting really expensive really quickly. That's not even imaging!

The way I look at it is that I bought my Naglers and Ethoi used and that was before TV increased their prices by around 10% last year. So if I ever want / need to sell I'm fairly confident that I could fully recover my investment in them. The "cost" would be any interest I could have raised on the capital if I'd not invested in the eyepieces, which would be a few quid at most.

Meanwhile I get to have fun with them when the skies do clear so it's not such a bad deal :smiley:

Edit: Sorry, I've just realised that this has gone rather "off topic" now :undecided:

You only have to buyem once , my first was the the 17 ethos , once I looked through it I had to have the rest & toped them off with the 26 nagler & the terminagler , some say you don't need the 26 with the 21ethos & 31 nagler but I like it alot and it's nice to have a magnification between 31 & 21.

Sent from my AWSOME iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived