12 inch vs 14 inch

Hello,

I am looking at new newtonian style scope (newt or dob) and was wondering, for the average person in an average location - i.e. streetlights, but not many, back garden - would there be much difference in what you could see with the EYE in a 12 inch scope compared to a 14 inch scope (16 is out of the question due to size, weight, etc!). I ask because there is a large jump of about £400 + between a 12 and 14 inch, and don't want to pay if it will give me no great benefit.

However, since I enojoy my Catadioptric, I wouldn't be against a SCT or similar - that is probably another agrument!!! Newt based or catadioptric?

Thanks

I have only ever looked though a 14 inch on a few occasions and it was a 14 LX 200, If I am honest I cant say that I thought there was a great deal of difference, the F/L is 500mm longer so eyepiece to eyepiece the magnification was more. I wanted a 14 inch LX but it was the weight that put me off. I am a strong guy and I find the 12 inch is at my limit as to what I can safely move.

I think on a Dob you would have fairly great wide field views that you will not get with the LX type of scope. If you think you can move a 12 inch around I believe you would be able to move a 16 inch Dob about. In my opinion then you would see a noticeable difference. The other point is a 14 inch SC is about £6500 if my memory serves me right, You can buy a top quality hand made 16 inch Dob with a Goto system and have change in your pocket.

Hope my rambling is of some use.

Alan

The mantra is "Aperture is King". However:

10 inch vs 16 inch: 16 inch is over twice as bright.

12 inch vs 14 inch: Hmmm... the 14 inch will be a bit brighter but not much.

If the size and weight of a 16 inch put you off, I'd go for the 12 inch and save £400.

Just my 2p

Fear not about budget. A 16 inch could be purchased if it wanted to be! However, let's not go stupid and start listing scopes that are £2k + lol

I bought an 8" SCT for just under 2K.

Sorry i know this is not helping, but it was the right scope for me.

What i am saying to you is to forget about the aperture of a scope. The right scope for you is the one that you will use and you can handle (size and weight). No point in being lumbered with a 14" that you can not handle, if the 12" is more suitable.

When buying a scope there is more to it then aperture.

Aperture is not ALWAYS king.

Portability i think is a bigger factor.

Nice! You won't be giving away much at all to the 14". That would have been only 36% more light which really isn't a great deal. It would fall into the category of: "you'd notice it if they were side by side but not otherwise". The 12" will be significantly more portable. Great size scope. Not point going bigger unless you go MUCH bigger.

Thanks guys.

The process was kind of made for me when I found a 2nd hand Orion optics 12 inch dob which has just been recoated by them, and has a telrad - all for £250!!!

that's a super deal - nice one! if it has the ali OOUK base then you'll be absolutely delighted.

Nah, it had no base. But guy supplied loads of wood to build a base. The frame and swivel parts are all built up and work, just needs bolting together and testing tomorrow. Then a good old paint, some accessory shelves added, couple of handles, adjustable feet to level it up, and bam - job done for no cost!

I started with a SkyWatcher 12" dob, then onto a 16" Lightbridge and finally upgraded to an Orion Optcs OD350 14" dob. The 12" was very good indeed, and while very pleased with it I wanted more so I bought the 16" LB. While the 16" could show more when properly cooled down it took an eternity to cool down, and even then the optics were never as sharp as the 12". Also it was a big and clumsy scope. Made me wish I'd never sold the 12". I was never really satisfied with the LB and so I looked for a better solution.

I settled on an OD350 14" dob as it had the right combination of qualities I was after. I got the best optics OO offered (.990 Strehl mirror) and added my own focuser and a StellarCAT drive etc. In comparison with the 16" LB it matched it on DSOs and was better on things such as lunar/planetary. Simply a better all-rounder. That's down to better optics with high reflectivity coatings and a smoother finish that doesn't scatter light as much. Cools down surprisingly quickly. Also it is hardly any heavier than the 12" Skywatcher so it's easy to move and set-up and doesn't take up much room when stored away.

So there are alternatives to going to a 16" from a 12". Downside is that it's not necessarily the cheapest option.

John

post-1876-0-35488700-1345404462_thumb.jp

The slow cool down on your old Lightbridge is due to the 2" thick mirrors they put in those things. I bet the 14" OO is a 1.5" thick mirror. Thickness makes a big difference because cooling rate is inversely proportional to the square of the thickness. Sounds like the figure on the mirror is better too. Nice looking scope!

Archived