Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Too much information.

cotterless45

Telrad charts for Messiers, Caldwells etc. List of Burnham's Celestial Handbook deep sky objects, Arp's top galaxies, loads of individual constellation charts. Filled 100 page A4 plastic sleeve document holder. Just too much on site.

Now I just take out the excellent Sky and Telescope's "Pocket Sky Atlas", simples.

Oh, until someone asks how far away Neptune is!

How much do you take out when observing?

Nick.

The current S@N or Astronomy Now magazine, Taki's Star Atlas (6 A4 pages for the northern half of the sky, I don't bother with the southern half), my notebook and a pen. And sometimes Stellarium printouts if I'm seeking elusive Messiers. I've stopped bothering with a Planisphere (although I do have the small one that lives in my 10x50 case) or books.

I've reverted back to using my iPad with SkySafari Pro with a sheet of red acetate over it and I close my viewing eye when I use it so no loss of dark adaption.

Everything I need is right there and no fumbling around with bits of paper in the dark. :rolleyes:

Pocket Sky Atlas, Pirate's Eye Patch, Red Torch, Pencil and Paper....(assuming the mount, tripod, counter weight, dovetail, clamps, telescope, eyepieces, filters, diagonal, telrad, finderscope, sitting stool, smokes, bottle of water, ipod, mobile telephone, are given :cheesy: )

My smart phone, with apps, LOTS of apps!

tells me everything i need to know, (when i've got internet signal)!

Not been to a dark site where i can't get a signal yet.

I'll cross that bridge when i get to it!

D.C

Archived