Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

i Come in Peace =)

i Drew

Hello everyone! First of all my name is Drew and I'm from CA, USA. Like everyone else here in the forum Astronomy has been my passion since I was a child growing up in South East Asia. Where I grew up we have a really beautiful dark skies every night, even up to now when I visited my home country it amazes me how beautiful and the night sky when it's completely dark. I've been living here in California for the past 18 years now and the City lights is just toxic to the the beauty of the night sky.

Growing up in the 1980's, there are not a lot of technology and toys that will keep you inside the house. That is why even when the sun has set me and my friends are still outside playing. I would always look up and mesmerize myself to the objects I see in the night sky, I know as a child that they are stars but i would always wonder and ask myself questions...like why are there different colors, why are some are brighter than others..etc..etc. I love how my cousin who is older than me would tell me folk lore about the stars and it just added in to my interest in Astronomy.

As I grow up and go to college my passion for Astronomy has lessen due to the reality of life living in a third wold country, concentrating in studying to make a living is more important than anything else, me and my family moved here in the USA and still concentrated on work and living in the city with the light pollution the passion I use to have has grown lesser and lesser. It wasn't till two years ago when me and my wife decided to take a break and go on vacation back home at my parents house that sits at a very high elevated place where at night is completely dark. There were a few nights where I would just camp in the backyard with my dads old binocular and tantalize myself with the beauty of the night sky and that's when it hit me and decided to pursue my love for Astronomy.

Soon as I got back from vacation I did a lot of research, read a lot of books, magazine regarding astronomy, started listening to podcast about astronomy like Astronomy Cast, 365 days of Astronomy, Star Talk radio etc and bought my self a binocular, it was a 15x70 skymaster. The knowledge opened up my eyes to a lot of things I have taken for granted all this years. Since then I have joined my local Amateur astronomy Club and bought my very first telescope (Nexstar 6se). Now I'm joining you here in this forum, i decided there is more to learn and joining a forum I can expand my knowledge and eventually share it in the future with my children.

I hope my introduction didn't bore you, I am glad to be part of this forum!

Cheers and Clear Skies!

Drew

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Drew and welcome to SGL, and thanks also for letting us know a bit about you. :smiley: I hope you find the answers you want here on the forum and feel free to ask anything, we are a friendly, if sometimes, opinionated bunch, so you may not get the response you hope for!!! :grin: :grin:

Hello Drew and welcome to SGL, and thanks also for letting us know a bit about you. :smiley: I hope you find the answers you want here on the forum and feel free to ask anything, we are a friendly, if sometimes, opinionated bunch, so you may not get the response you hope for!!! :grin: :grin:

Thank you! I like opinionated people in the web for two reason, one you kind of get the personality of the person behind the screen :smiley: and two, good or bad you get something out of what they say :smiley:

Welcome to SGL, Drew.

I read the title of this posting and thought "Hmm. We Come in Peace. Shoot to Kill". And then of course had to go and find out why I associated those two phrases. Which led me to this, and I see no reason I should suffer alone:

James

Archived