Twisting and turning with my dobsonian

Hi all,

I have been enjoying my new dobsonian, but the viewing angles are not very comfortable on the 8". I am never viewing in a position that allows me to stand or to sit...I'm sure the simple answer is to suck it up! Just thought I'd add a post to see if anybody has any suggestions to make viewing a little more pleasurable.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Owing to the construction of a dobsonian mount there is not a lot possible, other then to add a little height to the eyepiece by putting something under the Dobsonian base.

The whole mount was designed in terms of cost and simplicity and those 2 criteria do not mean several degrees of adjustment.

There are quite a few posts of the problems people have with regards back ache owing to Dobs, equally refractors and SCT/Maks can be as bad. Unless you can adjust the eyepiece to be at eye level you are going to have to bend.

I can not use a Dob because of my back problems, but if there was a scenario where there was nothing else to use, I would be inclined to construct a small rigid four leg table to bring the eye piece to a comfortable viewing hight, I believe some may have done this already :)

John.

I use a standard size Sankey water butt stand with mine as it brings it to a perfect height for me. I use the stand upside down as the inner rim is the exact size of the base although it will stand on it either way. It's also designed to hold a full butt of water so is pretty strong!

Drum throne. Perfect height for a 6" f/8 an 8" f/6 or a 10" f/4.5. It adjusts low, and high enough that you never have to stoop at the eyepiece.

You can remain seated in full comfort for all your observing. ;)

My 10" will be a bit higher than your 8" but for me a height adjustable chair is the best solution, so agree with others here saying that - I also found it made my views much better as my body & hence eye was much more stable allowing stable focus to pull more detail out.

Also what finder do you have I'm thinking a 90' / right angle pne would be easier for that aspect.

Have to confess that the chioce of 10" dob was as much for it's height being a little easier on my back than the extra apeture - probably herasy :smiley:

I'm not a dob user, but would something like this be of help: http://www.amazon.co...2120536-8661126 ? Again, if you're observing from your home's garden you might be able to set the dob up on a table of some sort. Just a couple of ideas which sprung to mind.

I have one of these chairs and have found them a great aid to comfortable observing. :smiley: :smiley:

I also found it made my views much better as my body & hence eye was much more stable allowing stable focus to pull more detail out.

Completely agree with this, the more comfortable and relaxed you are the more you'll see.

Thanks everybody! There is a lot of great information here. I think I'll take the scope out again tonight (assuming the clouds approve such a thing) and test it at a taller height. I thought it may also be nice to build a box for the scope to stand on that could also double as storage drawers for random astronomy gear. I also love the drum throne idea, I think that may be worth purchasing in the near future.

If money is not an issue and the odd angles are causing serious problems then you could try buying an equatorial mount

If money is not available then i'm afraid that you are probably right theres not much you can do, so "suck it up"

If money is not an issue and the odd angles are causing serious problems then you could try buying an equatorial mount

If money is not available then i'm afraid that you are probably right theres not much you can do, so "suck it up"

An EQ mount will make for a lot more contorting and odd angles than a Dob. An EQ mount and a newt is

like playing twister for the evening :D

I just use an old office chair (arms rest removed) with my dob.

I can adjust height easily and get a confortable position.

It won't work as good when pointing at the zenit or too close to the horizon but I don't do that often.

I asked around my family and friends to see if anyone was getting rid of an old low coffee table. It sits in the shed for the occasions when I need it. Most of the time I just contort....

Isn't the 10" the same length as the 8"? (1200mm?)

You just need a good observing chair with adjustable seat height. You will then have seated observing throughout the elevation range. Such chairs work well with both small scopes and large scopes. An Eq mount will make things worse as the eyepiece angle will vary. With a Dob the angle is always the same, which makes the observing experience a lot more comfortable.

I asked around my family and friends to see if anyone was getting rid of an old low coffee table. It sits in the shed for the occasions when I need it. Most of the time I just contort....

Isn't the 10" the same length as the 8"? (1200mm?)

yep!

like some here i bought a drum stool for £20 so i can adjust heights between lowest and highest points of the focuser. it wasnt doing my head in not being comfortable at the eyepiece. i read elsewhere it improves viewing alot .

I have the same problem as all dob users coupled with a bad lower back. Using my 10'' LB was very painful even after just a few minutes. I saw the link posted by Qualia and ordered the chair from Amazon. On its lowest position it is at exactly the right height for my LB. For the price it is pretty robust and should last a good few years. I'm 5' 9'' so taller folk may not find it as useful. I'm looking forward to pain free observing. Thanks for the link :grin:

Archived