NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cocoon Nebula

carastro

My first attempt at this object.

I tried an experiment at using lower ISO but longer images (the first I have done at 600secs), as longer images with 800 ISO introduces a lot of noise. Gonna do this again using 800 ISO and 300 secs and compare the results.

16 x 600 secs 400 ISO

Modified Canon 450D and ClS Filter

SW ED120 Pro

Guided with PHD and QHY5

Captured with APT and dithered

Light polluted location.

Link to larger file:

http://gallery.orpington-astronomy.org.uk/albums/userpics/10047/Coccon_Nebula_24-6-12_400ISO_x_600secs.png

d7ec39ee-1a8e-4607-ad9f-345cca1b9212_resized.png

Very difficult object

I sort of get that impression from other feedback I have been getting. It hardly shows up at all on the individual subs, it took stacking and processing to find it.

Thanks Michael.

Edit: Oh and Mark, we posted at the same time.

Carole

Very nice Carole! How did you manage 2.5 hours of data? I can't believe how many images are being posted in the forum for the time of year!

I found it very faint too, but visually the dark dust lanes are very obvious I thought.

Thanks Jim.

thanks for the clear info on what you used and did, helps

I've been well trained by my local Astro group. As you say it helps both those who are doing the crit, and for newbies to see what it entails.

Thanks Quatermass

Carole

Archived