Hello from New Zealand!

sdawson91

Hey Everyone!

I'm Stuart, I live in Auckland, New Zealand. I come from a family of very keen astronomy lovers. Although I love the science and history of astronomy and in particular the history of the manned missions to the Moon in the late 60's and 70's. I'm not exactly the gifted one with maths and science, that are skills my brothers got that I didn't

However!

That doesn't stop me from loving astronomy all the same. It's my passion. I'm a big photography guy! I love everything about photography and in particualr am looking to build up a protfolio of astrophotography. So if fellow New Zealanders, in particualr Jaffas for Auckland! Let me know where the good places to view the stars are!

There is significant light pollution where I live so it's hard to find somewhere good. The best I can do is photos of the Moon through my 550D with a Sigma 70-300 lens. I recently got some awesome shots of the Transit of Venus, it was significantly cloudy in Auckland on the day, however I camped out longer enough for a break in the clouds and got some photos :D

Looking forward to hearing from people!

I'm always interested in meeting new people having a chat :)

Cheers,

Stuart Dawson

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stuart and welcome to the Lounge. I do envy you the southern skies, especially the Magellanic clouds, must be a wonderful sight. Good luck with your hoped for astro imaging career. If where you are is heavily light polluted then some narrowband filters and Light pollution filters might do the trick. Enjoy.

Hi there and a very warm welcome to the forums, head on over to the imaging deep sky section and check out the great pictures posted there. We are a mixed bunch from beginners to very advanced imagers but we all love helping each other out and its a wonderful place to get help and advice and make new freinds sure your going to love it. Looking forward to seeing your work. ;)

Archived