Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Changing Face Of Light Pollution

umadog

Here is an animation from ESA showing how light pollution in Europe has increased:

http://esamultimedia.esa.int/images/imageoftheweek/Europe-1992-2010-compare-subset_H.gif

It was originally posted on Cloudy Nights, where there some debate as to whether the animation is "real." i.e. is one image simply a scaled version of the other. I suspect not, since not all areas brighten equally. Regardless, I think it's a good animation and worth including if you're writing letters to local government, etc.

I'm a bit dubious about this animation. Take Portugal for example. In 1992, (according to this image) only 2 or 3 or the big cities in the country had lighting/LP.

In the latest image, it appears as if the whole country is under one big floodlight.

There are bits of Algeria that get darker in 2010 which seems bizarre...

The highlands of Scotland don't change at all, Cairo's gone crazy, Republic of Ireland has moderate but not massive increase; I think those sorts of details are convincing me it's probably kosher.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived