Classifieds

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I fully understand that there needs to be a qualifying criteria for posting or viewing. Whichever number you choose there will be people just below it who think it should be lower still. I personally think you have the limits just about right.

I have nothing I wish to buy or sell, so no real problems for me..

I would point out though that I only post when I have something truly relevant to say (that makes it once a month I'm relevant, I reckon :grin: ). I visit at least 3 times a week, and my post count is still in the 80's, just like my fashion. Now I could boost my count by posting in the 'welcome' section to all and sundry (but that feels like cheating!), or, if I did want to get my count up, unless I was on here constantly, I think I would be in danger of just repeating other peoples comments, as there are many people with vastly more knowledge who visit more frequently than I do. This makes it difficult for me to feel that I would be adding value when I post, making me less likely to do so.

Not a whinge, just an observation. And no, I have no idea what I'd do differently before anyone asks!

I think it's a difficult one. I expect the idea is to stop someone coming and selling kit that's in poor condition and taking advantage of newbies but I know what you mean - a lot of people are 'readers' rather than 'posters'.

This is how I see it - it doesn't anger me, I just think it's a shame to other users really. I'm selling my gear soon and as it's barely used I'm sure people would be interested in it. But them the rules I guess :)

Quite right, the rules are the rules. I can fully understand why they are there. The admin team needs to have a mechanism that automatically allows access at a certain point rather than having to grant permission based on a subjective judgement.

I guess it means that I need to pickup the pace and post more even if I'm not really adding to the discussion. I find that that Internet forums tend to have some who post a lot but have very little to say ( not thinking of anyone in particular). This always puts me in mind of that famous saying "best to stay quiet and be thought of as stupid, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt!"

Perhaps another reson for my low number of sts is the fact that most of my viewing is onmy iPhone. As are my postings. This is not the easiest way to type, but I find that I use my pc less and less these days.

ikorodu

I might like to post in the classifieds as I have a scope, hardly used (once or twice), perfect condition and I can't be bothered with the hassle of ebay. I know someone who might want it though, but I'm giving them time to make their mind up. I told them not to rush, as it's a big decision. It might also give me time to get enough posts! :lol:

I like the idea of it not being available to people unless they post regularly, as it stops the spammers :)

Chris

I think it's a difficult one. I expect the idea is to stop someone coming and selling kit that's in poor condition and taking advantage of newbies but I know what you mean - a lot of people are 'readers' rather than 'posters'.

The rules are there to protect sellers and buyers alike.

Most members ask reasonable prices for their kit passing real savings on to the membership, but there are unscrupulous people who will profit from peoples goodwill & camaraderie.

Please note:

The classifieds is heavily moderated and no abuse or misuse will be tolerated.

Traders will NOT be tolerated whatsoever.

Misuse will result in the posted classified being deleted and a warning given.

Repeated misuse will result in a permanent ban.

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules

i also don't post much because i too am on the steep bit of the bendy educational thing.

i suppose i'll just have to make the effort if i want a look at the ads. (that's another one ;) ).

M

I've been on since January, read the forum every day but have only 60 posts. I'm going to be upgrading my scope in a month or two but I guess I won't be selling the old one through SGL. Shame.

If you reply to this one it'll be 61 ...

---founder of the Essex stargazers lounge social group (possibly? )---

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php?/topic/152380-Can-We-Have-An-Essex-Group-In-The-Social-Group-Section-Please-?

you don't have to have a great knowledge of the subject. e.g. a new astronomer's initial thoughts and experiences about how hard or easy it was to use new kit are always valuable. don't be afraid to post, all are welcome and equally valid (within reason).

you don't have to have a great knowledge of the subject. e.g. a new astronomer's initial thoughts and experiences about how hard or easy it was to use new kit are always valuable. don't be afraid to post, all are welcome and equally valid (within reason).

Absolutely. I reckon it's always worth posting observing reports and suchlike because it may well trigger responses from more experienced people who can point you in new directions, explain why you might be having problems or suggest similar targets.

James

And I will lower the post count if it's abused. Or just remove access completely.

Post counts can be reduced if it's thought that a member is "Post harvesting" ;)

Sorry Guys, it was meant to be tongue in cheek.

Have to agree with Moonshane here, if you do as he said "Just enjoy the forum and become part of the community" it soon becomes clear that just that in itself is the most rewarding thing - the buy and sell section is just a convienient bonus to be able to use now and then. BTW in the few deals ive done in my time as a member ive met some fantastic people who are straight as a die and the kit involved has been very well looked after, you'll find that nearly all genuine amateur astronomers do really look after their kit very well and simply do not try and fleece other members - they'd soon be found out I reckon!!

Doc

Your post soon build up when you start sharing the knowledge you have learnt. Even if you dont think you know anything useful or helpful, you will know far more than most beginners. Read through the beginners help section and see if you can help anybody. Im sure somebody will ask a question that you know the answer to. Everybody had to start at one time or another, and we all learnt from the knowledge that others passed on.

it's really just an issue of time. if people keep banging on about the rules, the criteria for advertising, and all other things associated with it then this takes up mods' time unnecessarily. ideally if people just use it, buy, sell whatever without all the frills then it will just run smoothly with no intervention. that's the way to ensure that a B&S section remains rather than it constantly being in the frame for removal. talking personally I feel it's a great asset to the forum if it runs without issues but as a mod it is irritating that it seems to create more sparks than anything else. hopefully this time it will just run quietly in the background to the main forum.

Archived