Proper Newbie From Rainham Kent

RalphEQ2

Morning.

Brought telescope for Mother in Laws Birthday and it seems i may have bitten off more then i can chew :p

Shes 77 and always said she wanted a telescope so we decided to buy her 1.........

having spent about an hour putting it together just now i actually dont think i undestand the 1st thing i need to do :evil:

Got her a Sky Watcher EQ2 so an entry level relector?????????????? :police:

I have tried putting lenses in the place for lenses but not really getting a clear picture even down the end of the garden but i am sure ill learn soon

Feel free to laugh at me :embarrassed:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Ralph and welcome to SGL. You have come to the right place. There are lots of posts on here for people just starting out. I am sure you will find all the help you need with your scope. People on here will not laugh at you, please ask away. Everyone had to start somewhere. Good luck with your new scope from another relative beginner.

I just need to learn how to use it and then teach a 77 year old how to also.

I am getting some greenery from the garden

Pic attached of it set up in dining room looking out over the garden

dsc00445ux.jpg

Hi and welcome to sgl.

I'm in same boat,my first scope has arrived and i haven't a clue. Like you said about biting off more than you can chew.lol.

However as Paul said,we all have to start somewhere and,as i've found, people here are only too happy to help.

Regards, Darren.

Set up looks about right to me. A few small pointers for you:

Make sure the scope is cooled to outside temp, I give mine an hour outside prior to use.

Check collimation (mirrors are aligned) Read posts regarding collimation.

Don't use scope inside house looking out of a window, warm air from inside will make views terrible.

Did you buy the scope new ? if so you should have a manual designed for the beginner. Once your scope is cooled down outside, put in your low powered eyepiece (probably 25mm) and turn the focuser (wheels next to eyepiece) slowly in or out until focus is reached on Moon or star etc and you should reach perfect focus if above steps are applied. Apologies if you already know this. Good luck.

Welcome to the forum!

I have had so much help from the more experienced members here and have never once been patronised or made to feel as though I should have had some kind of prior knowledge.

Everyone is willing and eager to help if they can and no one will laugh at you. Remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Hi Ralph,

Welcome to SGL. As stated there are plenty of star gazers with the same scope as you.....

Paul has given good advice. All I can add is to make sure that the eyepiece is sitting properly in the eyepiece holder and the little screws are tight.

It may be necessary to move the eyepiece up and down the holder to obtain correct focus. (worth a try,,,)

Focussing on the moon is a good object to start with.

If the scope needs collimation then that another ball game.... there is advice on that in SGL and on YouTube.

Your scope can be a bit out of collimation before focussing is impossible.

The other issue could be heat coming of the roofs of houses.

Anyway, welcome abroad.

Let us know how you got on.

Cheers

Adrian

Yes its new

I have a 10mm and 25mm lens plus the Barlow lens ?

Ill have to have a play with the different lens etc

Its only in the house at present with both doors open to the garden

I cant quite get it to focus 100% on something but think i just need to play, as i said i think ill have more fun trying to get her mum to use it then i will.......

I was only joking with the laugh at me comment any help is welcome :D

hi and welcome. as said dont use your scope indoors it just wont work especialy if your looking through another pain of glass. you will need to use it outside use your lowest power eye piece this is the eye piece with the biggist number probably around 25mm, dont use your barlow just yet, you will need to aim for a target far away i.e. at least half a mile away not some thing in your garden as it will be to close so you wont achieve focus. take all your caps of scope make sure its not pointing at the sun pop in your 25mm e.p. and focus you will get there. if this doesnt work ask again

hi there great scope ,i echo the comments above seems a bit strange ,try use in it in the day time ,see if you can focus on some thing far away .take it of the garden if you can not do that its always good to get used to it in the day time

pat

hi & welcome - I was in the same boat a few months ago - everyone on here very helpful though - it wont be long before you're always keeping half an eye on the weather forecast to see if its going to be a good observing night

Hi and welcome to the forum. Whilst taking a closer look at your picture, I'm not sure that you have set the mount head to the correct altitude which should be tilted at 51 degrees. The area that I am talking about is where the mount head joins the tripod. You will see a scale there and a locking nut which needs to be undone in order to tilt the whole back to the correct position. To help you ensure your setup is correct, have a look at

his video and
his one too, especially at 1 min 44 sec on how to adjust the altitude setting. Hope that helps.

James

Archived