Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally got the Triffid nebula phew..

Quatermass

Burning the candle at both ends for this one but it was well worth it. Took a trip to my favourite dark site and parked up to get ready . The growly thing was still there last night:eek: I have no idea what it is but its pretty unnerving. Any way despite scary noises in the woods I plugged on and found the Triffid just above the lagoon nebula which will be my next target tonight.:(

It was pretty low down and seeing wasn't ideal until gone 1am but at long last I had achieved my goal. It was difficult to get a good focus with out the laptop so this has taken me ages to sort out all the stars possibly the longest I have ever spent on processing an image but I am quite happy with the end results. This was 86 subs 70 seconds each ISO 800 with the usual darks flats and bias with my modded Canon 350d. I think this Nebula is so beautiful to look at one of the best one's up there. As Olly put it, this is the Marilyn Monroe of nebulas :)

Triffid%2520Nebula%2520master%2520image%2520copy.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im sure you will really love this one Peter its not hard to find if you find the lagoon nebula first and I can see that with my binoculars, it will be a bit higher up in june july but the nights will be shorter as well so thought I would get it now despite having to stay up till the wee hours.

Well done! I wish this one wasn't that low in the sky!

About the growly thing, why don't you go for a walk now in daylight and see if there is anything lurking in the forest (it's a lovely day down here in London).:)

I don't want to unsettle you QM but you know? all this makes a good story for a horror film script.:) This hobby is about enjoyng and relaxing; maybe it's time for you to start your own astronomy club?:(

Thank you Martyn I have been wanting to capture this one for long time and this lovely warm weather and clear skies every night are a real pleasure to go imaging in make a nice change from wiping the ice of my telescope and being togged up like an Eskimo :(

Well done! I wish this one wasn't that low in the sky!

About the growly thing, why don't you go for a walk now in daylight and see if there is anything lurking in the forest (it's a lovely day down here in London).:)

I don't want to unsettle you QM but you know? all this makes a good story for a horror film script.:) This hobby is about enjoyng and relaxing; maybe it's time for you to start your own astronomy club?:(

Cheers Pix

Well guess what I have been asked to lead the Halesworth astronomy group as part of the U3A activitys in our area. We will be having our next meeting on the 28th of June at the Halesworth Rifle hall at 2.30pm if any one in that area wants to come along its only a small group at the moment but hopefully we will grow as time goes by.

As for the growling thing in the woods it not a horse I saw them the other day when I did a drive past to check it out. There are horses in the fields behind but horses dont growl at you. I am taking my dog with me tonight just to be safe.

If the headlines tomorrow read Astronomer ravaged by wild beast in suffolk, that will be me :evil6:

Badgers can be fairly growly when the mood takes them, but hedgehogs are astonishingly noisy for their size, especially during the mating season which is, err, right now :(

James

Archived