Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finally my first Saturn this year 16/17 May

Ringrocket

Finally it was a clear evening as forecasted so I had setup my scope for temperature equilibration and imaged Saturn for the first time with the Mak150.

Since I don't see any details besides some banding would it make sense to record for say 15 minutes instead of four :)

About F27. DBK-618, 15 FPS with 1/15th second exposures. YUY2/RGB24

2000 of 4000 frames with Autostakkert!2 and Wavelets in R6.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome !

Thanks for watching,

Jeffrey

post-24724-133877775617_thumb.png

post-24724-133877775645_thumb.jpg

That is a nice shot well processed i reckon about 7 Mins capture is easily safe ground if a large storm showed up. 15 mins is ok if your not worried about blurring any large storms that may be picked up. Though with a smaller scope its hard to pick up storms unless they are large. but 4 mins is cutting yourself short for sure. shoot longer. 7 to what ever you like within reason

Nice image Jeffrey - just my own thoughts, but I'm finding that with more (rather than less) MAPs boxes that AS!2 performs better and creates a better end-image.....around 20-25 seems to do well for me.

Also, I notice that yoour MAP box around the right-hand ring's end section is "hanging" disconnected to any other boxes.....I'm of the opinion that over-lapping MAPs are allways a better arrangement rather than have any disconnected from the rest.....best to bounce this of Emil himself, but those are my own findings apropos my processings using AS!2 - might be worth considering.:)

Thanks everyone ! It's so much better than my first Saturns from previous year (then I was recording through an open window, although now I'm on the kitchen roof and had to fully extend the tripod legs to 100% and I could just catch those fotons that were flying just about 1 meter over the roof of my house instead of crashing into it).

@Neil; Thanks! I'll try to combine two avis that I recorded to get more frames, and next time I'll be more generous with the recording times....

@ Kokatha man; Thanks for the AS!2 suggestions ! I'll certainly try them out ! I gave the ring edge a hanging disconnected box thinking it might be easier to allign that part in a way that the Cassini div. would be sharpest. But maybe that line of thinking doesn't make sense at al. I was also afraid to make the boxes too small. I'll play around with more overlapping boxes.

@ Frewi; Thanks! I'll try the drizzle ! But with Mars I usually found that my raw images couldn't carry the drizzles that well. They got bigger but not more pleasant to look at in for my eyes. But I'll try it again (starting with 1.5)

Cheers,

Jeffrey

That's a great image Jeffery.

I agree with Darryl (Kokatha Man) use the 1.5x drizzle and maybe an extra MAP.

Exposures longer than 4 minutes will show rotational blurring. But that might not be obvious at your imaging scale. I saw a really neat image once that was recorded for 10 or 15 mintues... something rediculously long. When combined, there were no storm details, but the cloud bands were outstanding.

If it was me, I'd keep exposures short... but push the frame capture rate as high as I could go to freeze the seeing as much as possible. You can afford a slightly underexposed image during capture.

Great job. Keep 'em coming.

Cheers

Archived