NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which telescope should I sell?

Hi All,

I am, I think, about to purchase a 16" Meade LB. I have a 10" GSO and a 6" Newt (currently on a home made Dob base) at the moment. I exclusively observe from home with a NELM of 5.7 in the garden, although I hope to go to dark sites at some point. I cant justify having 3 telescopes. Should I sell the 6" or the 10". I think I'd like to keep one other. If I went to a dark site with the 10", would it be the same as my garden with the 16"? I find the 6" is handy for a quick peek, although when I observe anything other than planets, I always yearn for the aperture the 10" gives me.

Big dilema, I love both of my babies, but what should I sell?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Bart

Sell the one you will use the least. Problem is, that it might take you a while to decide which one you do actually use the least!

I appreciate that it isn't much of an answer, but it wouldn't be good to sell the one you will miss the most.

I'd learn to justify three scopes :)

If you yearn for the 10" when you're using the 6", why aren't you using the 10"? Because it's not practical at the time? That would suggest that if you sold the 6" then there would be times you'd not go out at all because the 10" is too much hassle. How often would you be prepared to get the 10" scope out but not a 16" scope?

I'd sell the 10".

James

Personally, I'd get the LB, get used to it for a few months and then decide which of the other two to sell on.

In the mean time, storage shouldn't be a problem. It sounds like you could slot them together like russian dolls :)

Personally, I'd get the LB, get used to it for a few months and then decide which of the other two to sell on.

In the mean time, storage shouldn't be a problem. It sounds like you could slot them together like russian dolls :)

Thus speaks a man who knows that the end-game is to justify keeping all three :headbang:

James

surely when you're running the biggie doing 30 x 600 subs you're gonna have to have a couple of scopes setup for visual while the computer does its thing ?

can't be wasting these precious few clear nights now.

Hi Bart

I had the 16" LB and a 10" Dob great combo.

The 10" is a perfect grab n go for those nighs when dragging the big un out is a no-no (near full moon, or just a quick session).

A 10" for me is the perfect size scope. Ready to go straight away, easy to manage. Big enough for great views, small enough to just pop in the car or in your case out on the Dob deck.

I've sold the 16" now but kept the 10" I'll never sell my 10".

thanks all,

Yes, sounds like my first little baby has to go! It'll take some rearranging of the garage to keep a 10" and a 16" . I foresee some 'discussions' with my wife re storage space. Never mind. I'll probably sell the 6" and see if I really use the 10" thereafter.

Decisions, decisions....

Bart

Why not sell the wife and keep all three?

Like saxophone players, you know you need them but you can only play one at a time, unless you're that jazzer who used to blow two at once.

Why not sell the wife and keep all three?

Like saxophone players, you know you need them but you can only play one at a time, unless you're that jazzer who used to blow two at once.

Mmmmm, interesting strategy, the kids would probably have to go too. Tricky one..

Cheaper by far to just buy the scopes. Probably end up in the papers though.:)

Keep 'em.You'll regret selling. I've got 7 scopes.You need a refractor or 2,a Dob and a couple of otas on manual and motorized mounts.Also a shed to keep things in. Most of my gear was bought cheap off fleabay.It's a refurbish/rescue mission,nice.

Nick.

Keep 'em.You'll regret selling. I've got 7 scopes.You need a refractor or 2,a Dob and a couple of otas on manual and motorized mounts.Also a shed to keep things in. Most of my gear was bought cheap off fleabay.It's a refurbish/rescue mission,nice.

Nick.

"7 Scopes"! Holy shed full.:)

You can have your own star part with that lot.

"7 Scopes"! Holy shed full.:)

You can have your own star part with that lot.

He's not the only one ;)

The thing is, once you've decided that it's fine to have three, four doesn't seem that much more of a stretch, and after that, well, what difference does one more make?

James

He's not the only one ;)

The thing is, once you've decided that it's fine to have three, four doesn't seem that much more of a stretch, and after that, well, what difference does one more make?

James

Suddenly. Me thinking my 20" Dobs gonna take up a bit of room when finished, seems trivial.:)

Nick.

+ 1

Then + another 1 :)

Up to four myself atm... was wondering which one to let go, but still find myself looking at ebay/FLO etc for bargains.... .

Archived