Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Baader Solar Film

pajr777

Well after redoing the bins filter I made an offset aperture filter for my 'scope and tested it with the webcam this afternoon.

On the plus side

• The webcam didn't melt
  • Sharpcam worked and I saw a huge Sun on my netbook - thus proving I didn't fatally damage the webcam when converting it to AP mode
  • I got a short AVI to play with in Registax

On the minus side

• Along with the two sunspots I was looking at there were LOADS of dark spots in the image - tracking the 'scope didn't move them so they must be dirt on the mirror or solar filter
  • I'm still struggling with exposure on the Lifecam - I had to set it to Auto to get out of over-exposure land (-11 is the limit to Sharpcap's exposure setting and it was still blown out)
  • Registax doesn't stack the frames sequentially and I can't work out why (I have a lot to learn with this software)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry if this is insulting given my idiocy with the film but I have just viewed the sun and there were about 6 large spots and numerous smaller spots all over the surface. are you sure it was not them?

Yes sure, in the movie I took two of the spots moved with the disc of the Sun (real sunspots) and the rest are completely stationery in the movie. I am wondering if the aperture method, which changes the focal length of the scope, makes any dirt on the primary mirror much more obvious.

In all honesty I don't recall a cellophane layer. Maybe I have also included it in my filter! Will have a look when I get home although the views seem pretty good. Is it between the two film layers or on the outside of one of them?

When I got mine the filter was between 2 translucent sheets. Maybe they changed things to prevent that.

Yes sure, in the movie I took two of the spots moved with the disc of the Sun (real sunspots) and the rest are completely stationery in the movie. I am wondering if the aperture method, which changes the focal length of the scope, makes any dirt on the primary mirror much more obvious.

I noticed this while trying the off-axis hole for lunar viewing - suddenly there was lots of dirt visible. I suspect it was on the eyepiece field lens rather than the mirrors, though, as it was clearly in focus in the view.

Tom

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

• 2 weeks later...

Quote from Paj: Along with the two sunspots I was looking at there were LOADS of dark spots in the image...

ggreene1: Does anyone know where the spots come from ??? Dust on the Baader ? Dust on the camera sensor ? Just wondering what to clean. Or is it on my scope ?

• 1 month later...

I had dust on the primary which I cleaned with an air can, but the spots looked almost in focus. I will post again next time I do some solar obs.

If they are nearly in focus then they must be near the imaging plane (asuming the image in focus on the sensor!) so I'd look at the sensor first and then any filter that you have at the sensor end of the scope...

Some gentle cleaning with Baader wonder fluid might be in order.

Its not a big issue as the film is see through. It makes little difference in the centre of the view but you can see theres something not quite right..

BUT when you remove the film you go WOW pin sharp and realise the difference..

I managed to take my holder apart carefully and put it back together..It was very tricky though and involved a lot of patience tissue paper and luck!

Mark

Its not a big issue as the film is see through. It makes little difference in the centre of the view but you can see theres something not quite right..

BUT when you remove the film you go WOW pin sharp and realise the difference..

I managed to take my holder apart carefully and put it back together..It was very tricky though and involved a lot of patience tissue paper and luck!

Mark

I was getting a bit worried after reading about the transparent film, its good to know im not going to go blind any time soon :rolleyes:

I guess that removing the film will be a my project for this weekend :sad:

Thanks for the reply

Archived