Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

FLO delivery unboxed

Have just unboxed my new astro pride and joy, a 120ED from the very good folk at FLO.

Out the cardboard transport boxes and quickly out of the case too...

picture.php?albumid=1143&pictureid=17351

Robust case, might do something with the cardboard seperator though as might not last long with a dewey scope plonked in for the drives home from local darksites.

picture.php?albumid=1143&pictureid=17350

Yep, that's what I ordered!

picture.php?albumid=1143&pictureid=17349

Complete ensemble on a rock solid Skytee2

picture.php?albumid=1143&pictureid=17352

All important lens view.

picture.php?albumid=1143&pictureid=17353

To be really really fussy there are a few very tiny specks (just to right of centre) and a bigger one in the bottom left. They don't appear to be on the surface of the top lens.

Happy days and just need to take outside for first light but oh wait.....maybe this weekend if the clear forecast is'nt teasing.

Thanks FLO :clouds2: and will be following your Clearance thread for some additions in possibly the focuser and diagonal areas;)

cheers Ian

I've had a quite a few views through a fellow SGLer's 120ED so already had a good idea of what these affordable quality doublets can do.

First light target has got to be Saturn and then a surf of the lunar terminator, can't wait!

I admit my heart skipped a beat :clouds2:

Steve

Sorry Steve:D I just did'nt have the patience to get the camera out before getting the scope on the mount ASAP.

John, your posts and others on here certainly helped guide the decision to go the big frac on a altaz mount route. For visual and portability to darkfield sites it's perfect for my needs.

Really nice :clouds2:

Don't worry about a couple of dust specs, it'll not affect the view.

My 6" frac (day use for solar WL) is coated in pollen back and front of both elements but it doesn't affect the view at all. When it does, then I'll get it cleaned :icon_scratch:

Friday and Saturday looks good, hope you get first light.

Cheers

Ian

cheers Steve

reckon a Bignor christening would be the place

frustratingly not able to make use of the clear skies this weekend, out for dinner with the gf last night and playing cricket sat and sun so my back will be shot. without pumping my body full of anti-inflams and painkillers I just won't be able to get down to the eyepiece:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of First Light updates.

Managed to get the 120ED out last week up at our usual location which is affected by London LP in the east. Spent a fair bit of time messing about getting used to the scope on the skytee2. Did a few rudimentary optics checks and got some nice views of Saturn with the Cas Div coming in and out. Mars boiling as usual. Tried M13, bit washed out being in the east. Then the clouds came.

Proper first light last night at a decent dark field site not far north of Selsey. Although it did'nt get really dark till after 11, it was easily one of the best nights this year for me.

The 120ED had a proper test and had to face up to comparison with Swampthing's 10" Dob.

Saturn straight away sealed the decision to get the 120ED. I've never seen the rings and Cassini Division as good as this. Interestingly, the planet's surface banding was clearer in the 120ED, whilst the dob had the better view of the rings.

Mars, not playing ball as per usual but northern polar cap was there and some surface detail coming in and out.

Returned back to M13 after the other night's wash out and the combination of a proper dark site and 5" frac produced a killer view. Huge blob with a larger proportion of inner and outer resolved stars, structure, dust lanes, and for fun it got ramped up to 150x to fill the EP and did'nt disappoint.

Dumbell nebula, bright and big, well structured and hint of greyish green to my colour blind eyes.

Alberio, just perfect with deeper colours than previously seen.

Ring Nebula, the view through the 10" dob was just spectacular, a shinning bright green thick doughnut. The 120ED could'nt match this brightness but was still pretty damned good.

We then tried Steve's 31mm nagler grenade in the 120ED. I'm currently using an old 30mm vixen which is a good EP, but got completely blown away by the justifiably premium priced nagler.

This EP with Oiii filter produced the best view of the night, the Veil nebula. I had flukely lined up the scope bang on with the finder and the view in the EP was something else, detail, size, and colour.

After messing around with 'now you see it, now you don't' views of the Veil by removing the filters and comparing the dimmer view with a CLS filter it had already gone 1am so pack up time.

Really pleased with the scope. Still need to get to grips with it on the skytee2 and it needs an extension pillar. Right angled/erect finder made a helpful addition.

In summary, the 10" dob beat the 5" ED at a proper dark field site but there's was'nt a massive difference in points:D

Archived